Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is pinging like crazy (70 mustang 302)...i changed the manifold and carb gaskets this weekend thinking it might be a vacuum leak but it didn't help. The timing is at 10 degrees btc. The car releases some white smoke and the pinging gets worse as it gets hotter...any suggestions? Could it be a carb problem? (Holley 4bbl) A distributor problem? (MSD-6A with heavy springs)? i'm going crazy!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
70 mustang 302, edelbrock manifold, holley 4bbl 650cfm, msd ignition with heavy springs, 10 degrees advanced, 600 idle rpm

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe your balancer has slipped, your timing marks may be incorrect. Have tried backing off the timing tell it doesn't ping? What is your total timing, (timing light with the engine reving). Did you change anything to have caused this intake, carb, distributor ect..

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What kind of head gasket are you using? The white smoke makes me worry that you're losing a head gasket.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sounds like you might have a blown headgasket. Are you loosing any antifreeze?White smoke is usually a sign of an engine burning antifreeze and would also make it ping.Pull the spark plugs and look for an unusual colour,a compression check may or may not show which cylinder is leaking but its worth a shot.If the head gasket isn't leaking what about the intake gaskets, are you sure you got the coolant passages sealed well?Sounds like your getting coolant in the cylinder somehow and you'll have to find out where.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did it ping before changing to the MSD distributor? Have you tried disconnecting vacuum advance and driving it to see if your (possibly)excessive advance comes from vacuum or mechanical advance?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Pull the plugs and read them. Let us know:
1)color of the plug.
2)what hole they came out of.

Take your rad cap off and look at the rubber gasket. Is there any oil on it?
Check your overflow for any sediment (oil, anything floating)
Pull your pcv valve and look at the checkball....is it discolored? (tan/yellow)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts