Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rad in my '65 country sedan is a little small for the 289 thats in it. It does not like to sit in traffic at all. I was wondering if there were other cars rads that will fit? For instance my friend has a '69 Olds and a radiator from a 70's Chevy van fits perfect and its better then the stock Olds one because its aluminum. I would rather go to a junkyard and get a $25 rad then spend over $200 on a new one but I will take any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
What about putting a new t-stat and fresh fluid?

I believe the 289 rad. and 352/390 rad's have a different locations for the outlet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also am missing a fan shroud. Any one know where I can get one of those?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The 65 radiators are hard to find. You will either find another replacement, buy a replacement or rig a universal in there. I bought a $ replacement from Autocrafters. NOT very good , but fits. The shrouds were only used on A/C cars and are hard to find. Repos are available from Auto crafters. $ originals turn up on ebay. Plan to spend $30 to $50.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Any 65 to 67 radiator will work but since you have a 289 it limits you to one for a 289 as the bottom hose is on the wrong side to use a FE radiator,I would recommend having your radiator recored to a 4 row or use a 70 and up waterpump on the 289 and use a FE radiator. Jeff

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-11-16 13:59, junkyardjeff wrote:
Any 65 to 67 radiator will work but since you have a 289 it limits you to one for a 289 as the bottom hose is on the wrong side to use a FE radiator,I would recommend having your radiator recored to a 4 row or use a 70 and up waterpump on the 289 and use a FE radiator. Jeff
I knew your would know what to do Jeff!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snap.... how much does it cost to get a Rad recored? Guess i'll have to call around. also, third gear went out on me again. Any one know if its likely the vacuum modulator went out? The line is hooked up and it is pulling vacuum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts