Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a newly freshened up 427w short block recently, and I am having a hard time identifying the rods and crank. The crank is forged but has no part numbers on it that I can see, and rods are the same, nice looking but all that I see is 6125 (length) etched on each beam. They are I-Beam rods as you can see in the photos. Can anyone help identify these? I have no idea if these are new or 10 years old. Thanks for you help!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought a newly freshened up 427w short block recently, and I am having a hard time identifying the rods and crank. The crank is forged but has no part numbers on it that I can see, and rods are the same, nice looking but all that I see is 6125 (length) etched on each beam. They are I-Beam rods as you can see in the photos. Can anyone help identify these? I have no idea if these are new or 10 years old. Thanks for you help!
Could they possibly be older Probe Industries 4340 rods? They look identical to what I see online...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've already asked the folks at Eagle and they confirmed they are not their parts... The reason I want to know is because the previous owner does not know for some reason, and even the guy who put this engine together doesn't remember doing it, nor can the balance shop find a record of balancing this engine, so as of right now I'm scared and curious at the same time, thinking I'm to take the whole thing a part and have it rebalanced so I know it's right, and hopefully while everything if out of the block I will figure out what parts I actually have... it's nice to know what you have rather than guessing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RPM International /Probe . Same for the crank. Probe used allot of them. Bet it has Probe pistons too.
no the pistons are brand new, DSS Racing forged, look nice (8763-4040). I was also thinking the rods and crank were Probe parts from late 90s or early 2000s... Either way, it's coming apart for a rebalance. The crank has 2 Mallory plugs in the front counter weight, and one in the rear, and several holes drilled in the center counter weights, so I looks to me that it's been internally balanced, but then the flywheel and OEM balancer are on the crank, so I have no idea. Better to have it all rechecked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DSS put together kits using similar parts. Their pistons are similar to what Probe used to sell.
This motor was recently redone due to a bad piston caused by the previous owner, so it was torn down, new pistons/rings, bearings, etc. The crank and rods were ok, so they were reused. Then I bought it, but nobody seems to know what's inside except for what I can physically identify...

·
Registered
485 Posts
You should have the balance checked. It may still be 28oz . The crank I got ( dirt cheap) is a 50oz 4" cast steel. No big deal but it didn't "look" like it when I bought it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts