Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an article on NHRA.com about Bob Glidden racing again but, in a WHAT?
A Pontiac a Dodge R/T at Pomona after a testing accident at Houston in the Pontiac.
Good to see him back but sure wish it was in a Ford again. Any opinions?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I dunno.
I thought I saw Billy Glidden was racing something other than a Ford too.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bob's a smart guy. He knows that Ford has NOTHING competitive at the track. He'll have to bite his Ford pride and drive a Chebby!

·
Registered
539 Posts
He will return at the Winternationals in Steve Schmidts Rods & Parts Pontiac Grand Am. This is according to Thats Racin.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Guess you guys don't remember him as world champ in a Plymouty Arrow. I have the pics. Man's gotta make a living. By the way, it's not that the Fords can't hang, they can. Bob said when he quit he was tired of spending more of his money & Ford kicking in less due to its NASCAR involvement. When Ford & Bob couldn't come to terms... the end.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yeah, what he said. Bottom line. Money. Doesn't matter what you 'like to drive'. I"m sure Glidden's are all still experimenting/building/machining all sorts of race only ford parts, but if good old Henry and the boys don't wanna participate financially, you gotta look elsewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's all about the money,when his contract run's out with Ford Racing,I would'nt be suprised to see John Force driving A Chevy or pontiac. Their product loyalty goes as far as the money goes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i am not 100% sure but i thought i read that
glidden got dumped because ford wanted to send more money on formula one program? the racing league where whoever spends the most money wins-hell here in north america we cant get people to support cart an irl-just look at the stands any sunday its on. if its not nascar or nhra it dont fly-so why ford if true wouldnt support him i dont know

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-02-07 09:37, chilly460 wrote:
Just to play Devil's Advocate, there's nothing Ford, or Chevy or whatever about those engines so I don't think it matters to those guys anymore.

Same with NASCAR, although I root for the Ford teams it's kinda ridiculous considering there isn't a speck of OEM stuff in there.
Right on Chilly! I could not agree with you more on this!

Thats why I really dont care or watch NASCAR stuff too much,it just too far from a real car anymore.

·
Registered
749 Posts
actually the fords are not as far away from the original engine as the chubbies are(the chubbie engine is so close to the ford in design now all they need to do is move the distributor to the front and paint it ford blue
). The pontiacs...well they are chubbies
The mopars...hell they are an all new engine design. I relate to what you guys are saying but how close to an engine design from 30+ yrs ago do you think they would be? Im just glad that they still run pushrod motors and the blocks work with C and W heads....just pray they never go SOHC or DOHC...that would be the end of the SBF racing development by the factory...that would be a sad day.

·
Registered
749 Posts
A big reason why Glidden got out was the NHRA rule makers. The crying GM drivers got so many rule changes that the true spirit of Pro Stock was ruined. "corprate drag engines" what a bunch of crap. When Pro Stock was actually based on assembly line blocks and heads...Fords ruled. THe SBC was no match for the C motor...proven by Glidden(Dyno Don Nicholson and Roush showed the way too) to the point they added some much weight to the C motor he ran the mopar combo in 79. In 78 Glidden destroyed all never losing a round! When Glidden figured out the Boss 429 he dominated with it when they first went to 500 ci engines....winning the Pro Stock championship 5 straight years. Then the GM boys were allowed to bring the new "corprate engines" and allow any "GM motor" in any "GM body" to compete.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
qtrhors, you are correct. NHRA wanted GM to win. Bob was [is] the hardest working guy in drag racing. His work payed off with 10 championships. The shame of it is that Ford pulled the backing from him after all those years of hard work and the love he has for racing and Ford.
Now NHRA should just call the class PRO PONTIAC instead of PRO STOCK. It's just a shame that a man with that much dedication to the sport was left out in the cold. I think that Ford should have supported Bob.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coupe3w on 2/8/02 9:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Another thing to remember..Bob nearly killed himself working harder than everyone else. When the body says thats enough, ya better listen. I to have pics of Bob and the Arrow that I took at Fremont Raceway. Man..thats along time ago!

·
Registered
749 Posts
It is a shame the way things happened. I believe though that Ford didnt just pull thier support from Bob. I believe Ford was fed up with the NHRA and was tired of the rule of the week crap. Unfortunately NASCAR has been doing this rule of the week crap now to for the past few years more and more. The fact is Ford has been battling this crap for years in every major racing body that they have competed in.

·
Registered
749 Posts
yea...Bob was unreal
1st time I seen him was in 1980 at the "Fall Nationals" Seattle WA...He had switched back to the fairmont and even with the C motors heavest pounds per cube weight break(at the min weight the largest engine you could run with a C motor was 327 cubes smallest of all the engines..and thats what he run) I stood next to the fairmont as he worked like a madman going from one end of the to the other...I could see the tach as he brought the motor up to 6K held there for several seconds then hammered the throttles back to wide open...the tach went to 10k...as a 20 year old I just stood there in total awe...funny thing was there were no C302 heads or yates heads back then..the castings were assembly line 351C 4V...highly modified of course. He beat the late Lee Shepard in the Finals on a record setting pass...have pics of it too. Seen Him again in 89 at the Mile High Nats with his 500 inch shotgun hemi T bird...a race He also won.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I go back even futher, Summer Nat's in English Town NJ. Summer of '77 Bob had his 351-C powered Pinto. Those were great times.
Rusty and Billy were just kids then. Boy I miss those times of Fords ruling Pro Stock.

·
Registered
539 Posts
According to NHRA's website,Bob Glidden will drive Larry Morgan's Dodge RT. Morgan offered Glidden the ride after he crashed the Pontiac.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob didn't even qualify for the race today. Oh well, to bad Bob. Maybe he doesn't have it any more. But I still like the guy. Maybe when he gets the Pontiac he will win a few. I hope he gets to race against Warren Johnson and beat his ass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coupe3w on 2/11/02 7:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bob was the guy that made me notice Fords. He would run what most guys couldn't and beat them doing it. I admired Bob for that, not necessarily that he did it with a Ford, but since few others could get them to run as well, he really stands out. Now, Bob is not responsible for the horsepower, he's just the shoe. Apparently the setup never came in on Morgan's old Dodge as the NHRA's round by round description of qualifying kept saying that Bob would spin, launch hard left, or something like that. Phoenix will be better because the Schmidt Pontiac will be baselined better, and all they will have to do is 'minor' adjusting for the raceday conditions. But did you see that field? And the number 16 qualifier won the race. Way to go Marnell! 36 cars in Pomona and only 16 spots. Pro Stock is is super tough!!
Back to Bob. When he was horsepower king, he never needed to have the quicker reaction times. Bob would routinely be second off the line but just plain power by on the top end. Sometimes he was a tenth quicker than the field. Now more than 16 cars are within a tenth. He is going to have to be sharp on the tree because nobody has a very big hp advantage.
Anyway, go get em, Bob!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bob didn't make the field in Houston because the level of competition is much closer now than when he was competitive. Give him a few more laps, and he'll be in the hunt. With Bob's input on the car it won't be long. God, I'd love to see him in the finals against anyone!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts