Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my 302w down and it needs a lot of work, so i am going to build a 351. My only problem is deciding on what breed to build.
It will be going into an XW fairmont that is a weekend street/strip car.

I am running a toploader and 9". I want to run low 12s at least. Can anyone suggest which way to go.

Do 302w crane adjustable roller rockers and mallory dizzy fit 351w?
Anyone with proven combos to suggest. I am on a limited budget.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your 302 rockers can be used on the W. The dist will not fit either. My question is what oil pan would you use to put the Cleavland in the fox body? The W is lighter, takes up less room and probably easier to get parts for on a budget.

·
Registered
184 Posts
weight difference is only 15lb between the
(351w and 351c) so not a concern
the Cleveland is the stronger of the
two motors as it was designed to be a
high compression, Hp motor...
there are trade off's as there are less
and less aftermarket parts for the cleveland, intake, headers, etc.
which ever way you go, (w) or (c) make
sure you get a complete motor, as
many parts from you 302 will not fit the
351w and none will fit the cleveland.
I suggest a good used motor from the
wreaking yard get the complete motor from
intake to pan and all the accesory brackets.
You if buy a built long block, you will
have to buy all these brackets...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I would have to believe that a W would be the logical choice, just for the pure sake of 'fitment'. A cleveland is much bigger, size wise. Let alone all the aftermarket parts you can get for a Windsor. My .002

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd go the Cleve.
They fit no probs (they were in very late W's and Y's of course.

On an unrelated matter...
I have a 351C (ex an XD) that you can have for 400 bucks or so. Needs some reassembly (waterpump is off so needs gaskets etc) and a dizzy and alternator (I pinched them for my 460). The carb (holley) is on it too.
It is great runner on petrol but a bit gutless on LPG to be fair. Motor is stock and has done about 60,000k and never gave me a day of trouble.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would say go with the C because you guys seem to have so many of them down there.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
How much for a set of good heads for the W? If not too much, (or atleast compareable to the C) go with that. That will save you the weight and possibly the $$. I got my heads (4c Quenched) complete for 810 off Ebay (set up with True Studs, and guide plates). The same guys sells heads all the time on Ebay. Maybe he will give you the same deal. The only thing that my heads did not have were the Roller Rockers. Again, I am not sure on the Windsor, but if compareable heads are in the same Dollar figure, why not use the W? Everything would be cheaper.
Ohh yea with my heads (any 4v quench cleveland head) 11:1 on 91 octane is no problem. Friend is telling me he has about 12.5:1 on 91 too, but I dont know if he is full of it. Low 12's I think would be quite easy. MonsterMach built a first class motor for 8,200. Check out his site, he did some things that you would not have to do I would think...

Hope it helped,
Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have a 351C 4V in my '79 Fairmont. It's a street/strip car with a C6. You can get an oil pan from Summit or Jeg's although I made mine. Motor mounts are the same as 351W. Headers are Hedmann. It fits, no problem.
The car ran 12.00s at the end of the season, with a mild setup. It should be deep in the 11s in the spring.

351C gets my vote.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The 351C is a killer engine, but DOES have it's shortcomings. The 351W actually has the better block... it just came with crappy heads from the factory.

The 351C suffers from thin cylinder walls and a poor oiling system. It's shorter 9.2" deck height also limits the room available for stroking.

One "fixable" flaw of the 351C are the crappy 2-piece multi-groove valves. If they don't slip through their multi-groove keepers, the heads will break off... killing the engine instantly. Been there, seen it happen. REPLACE ALL 16 VALVES ON ANY HOTROD 351C!!!!

The 351C DID come with heads that flow well from the factory. This allows them to make about as much power as the shortblock can handle.

The 351W is a "wolf in sheep's clothing". It came from the factory with CRAPPY heads, so it never was able to make much power.... until the flurry of aftermarket heads came out!
This engine has an excellent oiling system, tall 9.5" deck height, and shares many parts with our (common in the USA) 289-302. These engines are easily stroked out to 400+ cubic inches, and will make UNREAL power with a set of large-by-huge aftermarket heads installed. They are also quite reliable.

If you've already got the 351C and don't want to purchase an aftermarket heads... but don't mind the machine work required to convert to studs, guideplates, and new valves, then build what you've got. It will make good power. Just be aware of the 351C's weaknesses if you want it to last a long, long time.

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts