Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first off I have a 1970 Torino GT, full weight. I have the original, never-been-rebuilt(80k) 351-2V Cleveland in it with a few modifications. I have an edelbrock performer, a holley 3310 750cfm vac. sec. carb, a crane roller rocker conversion with harland sharp roller rockers. It has an MSD pro-billet dist with an MSD 6al ignition, hooker super-comps (1 3/4" I think)which lead to a 2.5" exhaust w/ cross-over. Just last summer I added a crane powermax cam (216/228 @.050 w/ .524/.519 lift). It has a 2500rpm stall conv. in front of a c-4 with a shift kit. Out back I put in a set of 3.50:1 gears and a locker. Whew . .. did I forget anything?

I've never raced it(I try to baby it most of the time) but am curious as hell as to what it would run in the quarter mile. The engine is not some heap waiting to fall apart, its in great shape and I guess thats why I baby it most of the time to keep it that way. I'd appreciate any insights as to what it would do at the strip. I'd really like to be able to do low 14s at least, if you dont think my car could do that, what would it take?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm also curious about mine, my combo is pretty much the same with the exception I have 4V quench heads and a little smaller cam 282/292 @ .050 and .486/.512 lift, a C6 with B&M and 2600 stall, I get my differential in a couple of days with a locker and 3.50's. all this in my '56 F-100.

I didn't get a chance to time it yet, only hot rodding in the neighbor hood. Then it broke.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I am gonna guess for the first set up somewhere in the 15's. After being disapointed with my combo (built more than this combo) My beest run so far is a 13.998 (with a 2.4 60')

Jeff Given

·
Registered
43 Posts
I may be on crack here, but he should be at least in the mid 300hp range with that setup, and he seems to have a pretty good driveline.

So why not decent times?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I am just saying that comparing it to my combo. I have a 3680 # car. 351 C 4v. Quench heads 3000 (or so stall its the Street Fighter) 246 256 Duration 564 589 lift. 4.11 gears. C6 trans. Torker intake Holley 750. The car ran a best (so far of a 13.998 with a 2.4 60' time, and consistant 14.0s I just do not think that it is gonna be in the 14's. Hell I am not a genius at this, but I am going with my gut. With 3.25 gears open I ran a 14.7 same set up exact.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before I went with a big block in my 73 Mach, I had a similar setup to this, 351C 2v with EDL performer w/600 holley, 3:70 gears,Hooker headers, and a stock C6 and ran 15.10 at about 93 mph. I had Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pros for traction and had a stock cam and converter. My best guess would be mid-14's WITH traction.
Rick

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just ran some numbers through the calculator and it says for a 3800 lb car(I'm guessing the weight with you in it)to run a 14 flat would require 287 hp at the flywheel.Although this doesn't sound like much these calculators assume your combo is perfectly matched and don't allow for any wheelspin or time between shifts etc.

·
Registered
596 Posts
A track is close by, but I won't be running for another week or 2.
How would our combo's do against my bosses '98 Cobra? he wants to race after he saw the 60' rubber I laid out in front of the shop.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I ran a '98 Cobra two weeks ago when I was at the track...... Got him with a 13.45 to his 13.29.... Needless to say I tree'd him pretty good, .565 to his .778.....

Like the others mentioned don't bet the farm.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've driven it before, but not after I rebuilt the 351C. Didn't the Cobra come with only a 4.6L

I know it's not the way to get a raise, but doesn't everyone want to kill their bosses ego. Especially when you build your ride, and they go down and just write a check for 30K and want to compair.

NOS will come later, then I'll say "Later"

·
Registered
543 Posts
HERE ARE A COUPLE OF SUGGESTIONS YOUR CAN DO THAT WON'T COST TOO MUCH MONEY. CHANGE YOUR ENGINE/TRANS/REAR END OILS TO SNYTHETIC. REPLACE YOUR FAN WITH AN ELECTRIC ONE. AND CHANGE YOUR AIR FILTER TO A K&N FILTER. THESE SHOULD FREE UP SOME POWER TO GET YOU IN THE 14'S IF YOU FALL JUST SHORT OF THE MARK. GOOD LUCK

70 MUSTANG

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's hard to compete with more efficient modern drivetrains in an older car.

I mean you see Camaro SS's come out running faster stock than the biggest and baddest muscle cars from the muscle days.

I dunno I feel like you could break the 13s if you got a good run with traction....but a well driven Cobra easily goes into the 13s.

I wouldn't bet too much on beating the Cobra either, but I'm holding out a bit more for your car than the other guys...but who knows, I may eat crow

·
Registered
596 Posts
well I just got word the guy who's building my differential went ahead and put 3.75 gears, so I'll be putting larger tires. I might get him off the line, we'll see.

I'm not scared, I won't bet my vacation on it, but I do feel if I don't beat him I'll give him a good run for his money.

I'll keep you guys informed.

I do have a question, how will synthetics help on the track? I do run Red Line in the C6, and will be switching in the Cleveland, the rear end goes together this week end and I'll probably go with the synth. But how will it help run time?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts