Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having a hard time choosing what would sound better tail pipes or exhaust that exits out the side in front of the rear tire,
i will be using 3 inch pipe eithr way with edelbrock mufflers what should i do?
i will also use an h-pipe

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Side exit exhaust will be LOUD, especially on your side,lol. Back exit will sound nice with good pipes.
Exhaust that exits in front of the back tire is illegal in BC, Canada, except if its a reg. cab truck. The fumes from the exhaust can enter the back seat area of the car at a light or stop, and get you feeling pretty good
I got dinged for having side exiting exhaust on the Fairlane and had to change them.

Rick

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If all you want is "sound" as in louder ... dump it out the sides ... out the tail will calm in just a bit.

Mightymach has 351C 4V out the sides...

I have 351c 4V out the back ...

very similar builds, I've heard them both ...

His is louder

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I don't like the side exit because no matter where you are, you can only hear half of the engine. It just sounds funny to me. With pipes out the back, all eight cylinders can be heard. AAAAHHHH! The music!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Got to agree with the tailpipes,sounds awesome,especially from behind but I just like it better overall.From a safety standpoint I don't like the exhaust coming out in front of the rear tires in case you ever grenade a motor real bad,nothing like oil and antifreeze on the rear tires while your smoking down the strip.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are side exiting pipes a lot louder than tail pipes or just a bit, and the ones that exit out the side are they justloud or do they have a nice sound to them, i want an exhaust system thats loud and has a nice tone to it, also will tail pipes perform well on the strip?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: growlin351w on 4/15/02 1:04pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: growlin351w on 4/15/02 1:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, if your pipes go all the way back, they'll be quieter becasue the exaust has to go over the rear axel, thus muffling the sound somewhat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why not just dump the mufflers at the rear axle? I've been running 3" flowmasters that way for years and it has a really nice sound to it, but it sounds better if you're around the back of the car. Of course with a fast enough ride, that's all your competition will hear anyway

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
When I had 3" 2 chamber flow master under the car...it was cool to have the loubest car in the country...But it soon got OLD. The sound is so muffled it rattles the change...EVERYTHING! I ran it out to the side right before the tires and it sounds SOOO MUCH BETTER! It got a MUCH better tone, and is just a tad bit quieter.

I like it now...dad is telling me he is gonna pay to have it ran to the back, and if I do not like it, we will hack it off a few days later...

Jeff Given

·
Registered
596 Posts
The longer the pipe will help dampen the noise, bends help too. the closer to your ear the louder. who do you want it to be loud for? you while you're listening to your stereo, or the punk in the Honda you just flew by? Intimadation is good.

I just hooked mine up this weekend, 2 1/2" with 2 chamber flowmasters, straight back, it sounds great, good and solid then when I gave it some gas you could tell the 351C 4V was breathing fire and ready to hit it.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I never did really like the sound of sidepipes. They look cool, but don't really sound like you think they should.

Exhaust dumping under the car (rear axle) has a tendency to vibrate the whole car, as well as anybody's head that happens to be inside. This effect is most noticable at idle. At speed, it's not that noticable. Tailpipes make the sound come out BEHIND the car, so even if it IS loud, it's behind you and not nearly as noticable.

If I had combo that didn't really 'like' 3" exhaust, and could get away with 2.5", I'd run those 2.5" Flowmaster Mandrel bent tailpipes. If I did a LOT of everyday driving with the hotrod, I'd use header rings at the outlets of the 3" mufflers to allow me to switch between turndowns and tailpipes.

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/16/02 2:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just tried to answer so if two posts show thats why. I have two cars. One is set up with exhaust exiting to the side behind the rear wheels. The sound then echos off of everything you drive by. I just installed a set of AfterBurners on it and like the sound. My other car is a 70 Galaxie with 2 1/2" duals and DynoMax mufflers ending right behind the axle. I think it is too loud and does tend to vibrate you out of your seat.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
1970Galaxie, are those Afterburners very loud? They are a chamered muffler, right? Do they sound like flowmasters?

·
Registered
522 Posts
They are a little like a resonator type sound. They are quieter than the only Flowmaster car I have driven. At an idle they sound slightly metallic, but not do not ring. On the road @ 2500 RPM they sound much better than a Flowmaster, NO droning sound. Hope that is somewhat understandable.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I dont know anything about this, but I know that side exausts look SO DAM COOL, Im gonna put them on my mustang thats for sure!!!!!!
Kenny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts