Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 61, several months ago. I have never been able to put more than 12 gallons in her. Several times, I drove it until the gauge was bottomed out[as far as i could tell]. Always carried a can with a gallon. I thought the gauge was messed up. It would show full, when it would take no more gas but, it would run real low after 10-13 gallons. The tank looks good and original, and undented. I thought, these cars used at least 20 gallon tanks. Anyway, of all the times to finally run out, it was during a nasty storm on Sunday. Anyway, I have been looking forward to a 6 hour drive this weekend, but now I will not take this car. My owners manual says it is more that 13 gallons, what should it really be? I have been told, 9 MPG is standard for a 352 3 spd. and expect that, but I need more than 100 miles before i look for a gas station.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
my 352 gave me 8.6 mpg.

·
Registered
82 Posts
this thread makes me happy i have a 289. 19 mpgs last fill up from highway driving..
I would give it a tune up and make sure to change out the fuel filter to try and squeeze a few more mpgs..

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would think it would have at least a 20 gallon capacity? I don't think Ford would have sold to many cars with just a 13 gallon tank. I definitely feel lucky that my 352 gets about 14-15 mpg. You should defininetly be getting better mileage than 9 MPG..that is not normal unless it is modified or you are driving it agressively....which there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The tank will only hold what it will hold. If you ran it empty then filled it up that's what it holds. It most likely has been swapped out because the original was damaged or rusty.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
My '64 is a 19 gal tank, always thought it was 18 til recently when looking at the manual. But 9 mpg sure doesn't sound right! I squeeze out 15mpg city or hwy with my 390. Its tired, bored .040 over and an RV cam i don't remember specs on. I would think yours would do better.

Have you checked the little piece of fuel hose that goes between the fuel tank and the hard line? Maybe you're losing some of the gas there, it's just a little 6" hose or something like that. Like arnold said, run it to empty and see what it holds. You might have a leak somewhere too though.

From '77 to '04 i didn't even have a working gauge, i used a piece of hose to measure how much gas i had left in the tank. Think i take more chances now than i did before the gauge worked

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had the same problem with the amount of gas our 63 galaxie would hold.. I had to drop the tank to clean and seal the tank( not the orginal). I studied the lenght of the fill neck (it was 2'' from the bottom of the tank.. I cut the fill neck so it would go a 1.5 into the tank. When I filled her up she held 19 gallons. She has a 352 bored 40 over with a 4barrel and gets 15 mpg on the country roads. Never had her on the super slab..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts