Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given an 83 Fairmont with a straight six. Just found out that they didn't offer it with a V8 that year. Does anyone know if there's an 8 cyl that will mount up with a minimum of head-sctratching? I'd prefer to bolt on and go. Ideas? Maybe I'll just keep it original since it was the final year of the Fairmont.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The fairmont is a fox car just like the mustang.If I remember correctly the front crossmember is different on a straight six car from the V-8,V-6 and 4 cylinder cars(which are all the same)..You could either swap out the front crossmember or else make some custom mounts or use an engine plate....The fairmont will fit pretty much any ford engine you might want to put in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, both of you. I guess I'll hit the boneyards and see what the crossmember looks like. Now I really have a decision to make, huh?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
frdnut is correct. The I6 is the odd ball motor crossmember all the others are the same. You could also look for mid size LTD and Marquis too from 83,84,85 for donour parts. Virtually all the Mustang GT suspension pieces will fit that car too from the fast rack to the brakes and sway bars to make it handle. I had a 79 Futura and I'll like to get another one day. Stu

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want to keep it simple look for a sb bell+converter.If it has the 200ci or 250.The 240+300s have the sb bolt pattern.That way you can use the existing stuff(until the rear grenades,LOL).
Olli

460 D0VE-C,TorkerII,800DP,3.9s+Spool "The Luxury Monster"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71LincMK3 on 9/13/06 10:13am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts