Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday I'm going to look at a 65 falcon hardtop with the 200 inline-6 and 3 spd' on the column.The man I talked to about it said that he bought it a year or so ago and started to fix it up he put a new paint job on it along with new american racing wheels and new tires. The interior is worn, but complete which doesent really matter to me because I'll be installing a new interior anyway. The engine he says runs like a champ and doesn't smoke or burn oil although it does need to be cleaned up along with the engine compartment (repainted ect..) which i'm not to worried about either because I plan to use this car as a driver for now not a show car. The trans he said shifts good.The trim is all there and in good shape as well as the chrome on the bumpers. He's asking $5000 for it which I know is probably a little high but I live in texas and one like this or worst would go even higher if you can find one so I'm actually going out of state to look at it myself (6 hr. drive). I've bought old cars in the past and have failed to look them over completely and paid later for it. So on these falcons what should I pay close attention to.Can anyone basically give me a good check list to go by I know this might be a stupid request but like I've said I've paid for it in the past and don't want to make the same mistakes. Thanks

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
65 Falcon inline 6 3 on the tree new paint old everything else for $5K......

Too much.

Just saying cause you asked.

Painting it is going to run $3500 alone at the bottom end of the price range. And a nice 65 6 cyl car running in decent condition should bring $1500 to $3000...

I say it's juuuuuust the right price but you BETTER LOOK LIKE CRAZY at the entire car under over inside and out. Or you're wasting funds....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
65 Falcon inline 6 3 on the tree new paint old everything else for $5K......

Too much.

Just saying cause you asked.

Painting it is going to run $3500 alone at the bottom end of the price range. And a nice 65 6 cyl car running in decent condition should bring $1500 to $3000...

I say it's juuuuuust the right price but you BETTER LOOK LIKE CRAZY at the entire car under over inside and out. Or you're wasting funds....
No I agree and it's probably a little over priced but I've been looking around Texas for over a year and the prices here are ridiculous and thats why this one caught my eye.He said there was no rust on the car, but how many times have we heard that.Where are these cars prone to rust besides the cowl? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Don't worry about cowl rust unless the car spent time around trees.

Open trunk and FEEL down low in the quarters and over the wheel wells for intrusive lumps of BONDO.

Drop the offering price $3000 if you find bondo in the quarters.

Bring a flashlight, jamb your head in there as far as you can, look forward and backward.

Look for mysterious new undercoating. Original stuff stayed in the center of the quarter panel to dampen vibration not to prevent rust.

Then go under car and look for rust, pin holes, soft spots Etc...

Just give it the old Yale go and you'll find issues if you look. Each deficiency is a bonus for you and a discount!

FE

·
Registered
289 Posts
Blame it all on that Barret Jackson auction. Ever since that show came up- every car, which seems to look old are considered a collector's car by their owners.
5k is high... but, that's also the average price here in California for a freshly painted Falcon. Share some pix for us to drool over and best of luck! Welcome to Ford Muscle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Like I said around Texas owners are wayyy to proud of these cars especially the hardtops. I’ve been looking for about a year and a half now and I guess different areas have different markets, I just didn't know there was that big of a gap.I really haven't been able to find any decent falcon hardtop for less than $5k anywhere thats not a big project. Around here project cars can go for $3-3500k (AND I MEAN PROJECT CARS) That’s why I'm having to go out of State to look. I know that I probably won’t get out of it what I will put in to it, I rarely do. But ever since my father and I sold our Falcon (that was by the way put into the falcon club of America news letter) 6-7 years ago I've always wanted another one and I have big plans for whatever falcon hardtop I get to make it my own and plan on holding on to my next falcon.But I did make myself a checklist of things to look for so that I don't forget and let my my emotions get the best of me. If any of you are looking for a second career come to Texas and just sell falcons haha!:D

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Rust in quarters, Rust on top of wheel houses ( found one like that ).

Cowl rust could happen from mice building nest also, check under the dash for that.

Rust under the battery tray.

Check for crash damage.

Drive it, verify it runs and shifts good. No pulling violently side to side. Mine did that. :-(

Jet

·
Registered
139 Posts
Half the fun is working on it and making it your own. I don't worry about what I spend on it or if I get my money back out of it. I do it for my own enjoyment, no one else's. I personally don't know of anyone who actually knew exactly how much money they had in their car and actually made money on selling it. A lot depends on where you live too. Cars around here are top dollar and have always been.

·
Registered
289 Posts
California car culture is funny about rust. My brother is a VW air cool fanatic and I'm seeing some of his car buddies purposely making their buses/bugs rusty! So- even the rusty cars here in California are getting very popular. Most don't care about rust as long as it drives like a dream.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
California car culture is funny about rust. My brother is a VW air cool fanatic and I'm seeing some of his car buddies purposely making their buses/bugs rusty! So- even the rusty cars here in California are getting very popular. Most don't care about rust as long as it drives like a dream.
Lol. It's the rat rod motife. Yo check out the bad a$$ patina on that ride man....:D

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
IF you have the budget, Los Angeles is probably the best place in the known universe to buy a classic car. Millions of people lived there so a lot were sold there, and the weather is such that the cars don't rust if you're not right by the ocean.

Here's a 289 car. 1965 Ford Falcon, 2 door HT, 289 Auto, 65 FOR SALE

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IF you have the budget, Los Angeles is probably the best place in the known universe to buy a classic car. Millions of people lived there so a lot were sold there, and the weather is such that the cars don't rust if you're not right by the ocean.

Here's a 289 car. 1965 Ford Falcon, 2 door HT, 289 Auto, 65 FOR SALE
Don't have the budget to go that far to look. Sticking to surrounding states whish I did though looks to be a good car. Thanks everyone for all the help if this one doesn't work out I'll just keep looking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i dont post much here mostly browse but...

just be through and dont get caught up in emotions. The trunk area can have a bunch of rust as well a fairly weak powered magnet can help find rust spots as well also bring a notepad and pen and mark each and every problem regardless of if its significances. Also be systematic like starting at the front passenger side headlight and working clockwise on the outside same with the inside and engine compartment. dont be afraid to bring tools with you a volt meter, flashlight, magnet and cardboard are my basics but things like a jack and stands vacuum gauge compression tester and basic hand tools can also go a long way. just keep in mind its a long term investment. looking like a car buying expert and marking everything can save you some serious coin also dont be afraid to travel to find a car like New Mexico and so forth. like this little gem:

1963 ford falcon futura for sale

yeah its not a 65 but im just showing you whats out there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
While you've got it jacked up, check out the frame too. The point where the rear shocks mount to the car is pretty weak and is often broken. Take a good look at that. On the front frame rails look for cracks, especially directly below the shock towers, and look for areas where the spot welds have been pulled apart. Probably not an issue in a car that's still got the 6 cyl in it, but it never hurts to be sure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great advice from everyone. I've got my magnet, a 1-1/2 page checklist of things to look for, my flashlight and car ramps. So I'm off to look now Thanks again for all the help

1 - 20 of 31 Posts