Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone in my area has a torino for sale. I am thinking about checking it out, but I wonder what are the typical areas of the body to check. Seems like probably lower edges of fenders & quarter panels, bottom door seam. Not familiar at all with unibodies, but I have read about torque boxes being an area to check out closely. How is this done visually? As a bad torque box obvious?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Look for rust in the usual places on the rear fenders, front fenders will rust out also. Cowl under the dash for rust. Check under the car for damage to the subframe and front radiator mount. Bottoms of the doors, all howfully all the glass is good. Hard to come by. The dashpad is also hard to replace. Look for rust under the lip of the trunk lid and along the front of the hood. Lift up the carpet and check under it front and rear. Good Luck. Post the VIN and door info on here and we can decode it for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
walk around and thump that thing! Just got finished sanding 3 coats of paint off my 72! had about 40 lbs. of filler in dents that could've easily been popped out!
some knucklehead took the hard way out and used the filler. WHY? oh, and under the trunk mat there were some nice surprises for me.........i could see the ground in the corners! rusted through the trunk, through the wheelwells, and through the quarters!... how the heck does that happen?????????? I must've just got the "twilight-zone" car or something. Just look in wierd places, and poke around a bit. also you can run the vin numbers to see who, where, and when this car was owned.
good luck man, those are really cool years
torinotroy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts