Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into building up a 302 for my '66 mustang and I was wondering what I can look for when going to purchase the block. I plan to use aftermarket heads, intake, cam, and exhaust and have to decide whether i'm going with a stroker or not. Basically I'm only worried about the block. Anything specifically that I should check?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Look for a 351w std bore block,do not stroke a 302, if you are building a motor from the ground up. If you can't swing a 351 based stroker at this time buy a 351 and build it,with very little effort you can have 400 hp and that is like twice the fun of 300 hp, then later when you can, you can stroke that BAD BOY, have say 550 HP! This is good advice. qy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yea, Johnny, qy, I dunno I tried to add one of the rolling eye icons and it printed "qy" so there you are!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well, let's assume you are buying a 302 and not a 5.0 and not a 351 for a specific reason. In my bit of experience in buying Windsors (4 of them) it is best to know exactly what you are looking at. Get to know the casting codes so you know if it came from a car, truck, Mexico, Motorsport etc. Then be aggressive in determining what condition it is in. If you need to buy a short block or long block to get the block you seek, take it apart. Pull the pan, intake, heads etc. and inspect the block from every angle and don't buy something sight unseen. There is a lot of cobbled together crap out there. Take a mic or at least some calipers and make sure the bore is original. If there is any way to write up a sales agreement that says it's returnable if it doesn't magnaflux or clean up at .030" then do it. No harm in asking.
By the way, anybody want a 351 block that needs to be sleeved in 2 holes? A mis-matched set of rods?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also, if I'm not mistaken, some of the 302's have a 6 bolt bellhousing pattern and others have the 10 bolt pattern (or is it 8...). Anyway, the early 289/302's used a 6 bolt pattern so if you want your bellhousing/tranny to bolt up, find a 6 bolt. (mid/late 80s I believe)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
As far as I'm aware, all 302's have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The early 289's had 5 bolts, but changed in the mid-60's. 302 blocks are dimensionally the same from '68-'90something when the stopped producing them. The only differences are balance weight, slightly taller deck (73-76), and block weight/rigidity.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Is there anything special about truck engines? I have a 302 out of an 82 F-250, was wondering if it was the same as a car, or if it has better rods and such, like the 460 got when it went into trucks. Been savin this 302 in case I ever build a ranger, just curious if I got something good, or something plain. thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts