Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is running a 8" stall on the street and if they have any problems with heat?

I need a 3800-4000 stall and am undecided between a real loose 10" or a real tight 8" or 9".....

This car is not a daily driver, it is a pro-street application... what are the pros and cons of the different size convertors?

Was told a tight 8" will run cooler then a loose 10".. Is this true???

Any help would be apreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I would think a tight 8" converter would allow the trans to "theoretically" run cooler, because it's more efficient. But, the 10" looser converter holds more fluid. It would probably be best to call a torque converter manufacturer and give them ALL the specifications you can think of.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If you can afford it, the tight 8" will run cooler from less fluid "shear" from the fins being angled less. Slippage creates heat and the 10" won't be as efficient with the same stall as the 8" will and your top end will be more(higher MPH in quarter mile) with the 8" compared to a 10" with the same stall.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I ran a 4400 rpm 8" convertor on the street and it built a ton of heat. It built more heat than my 4000 rpm 10" convertor ever did. And I had a bigger trans cooler for the 8" and it still made a lot of heat, especially with any sustained hi-way driving. It slipped all the time which creates heat, unless the throttle was wide open.

As for a 9" convertor, I was told by a couple of companies that there isnt a good sprague or stator (it was a few yrs back and I cant remember which) that fits Ford transmissions and that was why they wouldn't even offer a 9". They said it was weak spot.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is a 8" convertor not streetable, it sounds like it will generate way to much heat...
I was told a real loose 10" (4000 rpm) stall would generate alot of heat also....
Does anyone have any experiance with this, I need to order a convertor this week any help would be appreciated....
I am planning on getting an ATI or Coan convertor just need to figure out if 8" is not streetable....
If a loose 10" is the way to go someone please tell me....

·
Registered
43 Posts
As others suggested, I'd recommend calling up some converter manufacturers and asking what they think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been running a 8 inch ati on the street for about 7 years without any problems. It would stall with the transbrake to around 5000 but it only flashed to around 3200 from footbrake. It rpm at cruise exactly like my pinto conv. But made a hole lot more torque.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for all the input, I ended up talking to a few tech lines this week....

I ended up calling Coan and ordering one from them....
I talked to Dave Coan on the phone and he spent an hour on the phone with me to make sure I got what I needed...

I ordered a 8" 4000 stall...

The tech support was great and I would recomend them to everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts