Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda planning for the future here but what have you's guys used to insulate the headliner? I plan on using a Dynamat type on the floor etc. but was thinking something more puffy was needed. Let me know.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The headliner on my 62 is dry rotting and falling apart at the seams and I can tell you what Ford used! It's filled with a loose insulation that filters down on you when you hit a bump.

I suppose the dynamat type insulation would work but would the adhesive stand all that heat and cold the roof is exposed too. If it ever came loose it would maybe take the headliner down with it. Do the manufacturers recommend any particular type of insulation?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I didnt use anything, but you could use Dynamat. Were you looking for something "more puffy" to help with the shape of it? If so the bows do that. The most important thing is to replace the bows in the same placethat they were in.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 65 had approx. 1" of what looked like regular fiberglass insulation glued to the roof between the cross braces. I haven't decided if it will get replaced or not.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I remember that loose crap, made a damn mess too, and was thinking of maybe doing that jute sheet insulation and gluing it. Something to insulate, but also when the wind blows, it doesn't shake like a leaf inside like it's too loose.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've seen people use "sonoflex" tiles cut to shape. It's pretty much the same fiberglass as stock though. Also there is a foil bubble wrap that is more modern. I believe it is used for duct wrap usually. Stu

·
Registered
322 Posts
How difficult is the installation of a new headliner in say a1962 sedan with the bows? It doesn't seem like a pleasant or easy job to do?

Any tricks to it?

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
i have the opposite problem, my seat foam is crumbling out the bottom and tries to blind me sometimes!
Someone was just discussing this recently. Try doing a search here on the site for headliner installation or just "headliner". Should turn something up.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I installed my headliner . As I mentioned the most important tip is to keep the bows in order, and replace them in there original spots. I started by layin out my new headliner.Then removing all the trim around the windows, the visors , coat hooks, and dome light. Then riping the old headliner off from the front I removed the front bow and took note of were it went. When you remove liner take note how it is tucked in ( or installed ).
I cleand the bow and sliped it in to the first loop or pocket of the head liner.I repeted the prosses with each bow. Now you may have to "slit" the new headliner pockets a bit ( this should be coverd in the instructions of the new head liner).
When all the bows are in , roll the headliner in from the front and rear leaving the center bow exposed. Install the center bow first ( remeber to install it in the same place it came off of!). You can un roll the liner and install a front bow, then a rear , altrenating frot and rear till they are all in. Keep track of were your dome light and visors mounted
Now you have to start streaching the liner , tucking it in to place you will see were it tucks in to when tou take your old one out.. Try to keep it even by streching from right to left. I used a plastic putty knife to help tuck it in to place.
When installing it try to get as many wrinkles out of it.In stall the trim and using a razor make an X cut were your dome light goes, and use an icepick or an awl to poke holes were your visors, and caot hooks go.
Thats basicly it, get a friend to help. I installed a headliner in an old 1953 chevy wagon by my self once... wow that was fun. Anyways hope this helps

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sleepysal on 9/7/06 8:45am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sleepysal on 9/7/06 8:47am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts