Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help fast, going to put motor together tommorow. Please help?????
Just wondering what you guys use for motor assymbly for the main and rod bearings???? went to the speed shop nearby to pick up some assy. lube and they told me not to use it... They sain the moly in it is bad for the bearings.... They said to use just regualar motor oil for the assy. and then prime the motor when its ready to fire and I should be good to go... Does this sound right???? Any input would be great.....

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I have put together about four or five engines in the past two years ... I used "sta-lube" ENGINE ASSEMBLY LUBE with "moly-graphite" ... Part number SL3331

This is a black moly lube ad works just great.

The big difference in my mind between using "oil" type lubes and "grease" type lubes is that the grease type lube will stay put much better than oil type lubes and will be less likely to end up in places where you DON'T NEED LUBE!

During the assembly process having lube getting on surfaces that don't need lube will only serve to attract and hold dirt.

In my opinion that arguement would be much stronger than saying that one of the best lubes on earth is bad for bearings ... Go figure.

I'll keep using my "Moly"

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I was a heavy duty truck mach. for years.I always used White lube.It won't run out of the bearings , no matter how long you let the engine sit before you start it.....
Most of that assembly lube %$$# is B/S,I think....

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
For bearings, I've had fine luck with motor oil, as well as assembly lube.

My personal favorite assembly lube is Redline Assembly Lube. It come in a round containor and is a red gel. It's kind of like a thin grease. I use it on everything in the engine.... cams, bearings, all of it. Good Stuff.

People also have good luck with other products. That white assembly lube that comes in the long 'toothpaste' containers is an old stand by that has gotten the job done for years.

Just be sure to use a good grease on the cam and the lifters. If you use a tool to pre-lube the oiling system by spinning the oil pump, it doesn't really matter what is used on the bearings (in my opinion). If it will sit for a while, the grease type prelubes will stay in place longer.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
in the book Official Factory Guide to Building Ford Short-Track Power: How to Build Winning Short-Track Engines for Claimer Class, Spec Series, and Sportsman racing

they build a 351 and a 302 for claimer racing. On the 351 they used motor oil and on the 302 the used assembly lube. Both methods work fine. I personally like ARP assembly lube.

hope this helps

Andy

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I though putting oil on the bearings was %$$#, I have never heard of this.. I used assy lube on my last two motors with no problems.... I thought the same thing, it would make a big mess and not stay in place for any amount of time.... I could not believe it when they told me the moly in the lube would damage the bearing???????????? Made no sence at all.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: billy on 7/6/02 10:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I make my own outta 50/50 40 wt oil and stp oil treatment. Nice and sticky, and will last indefinately. I quit usin white lube when I saw what it turns into if it sits to long...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've always used the gel type assembly lube, although I prime the oil system for several minutes before the first start. Then I run the cam in for about a half hour and change the filter and oil before use. Just my mojo... but I haven't burnt any bearings prior to break in.

Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
On 2002-07-05 23:08, Luv70sFords wrote:
I make my own outta 50/50 40 wt oil and stp oil treatment. Nice and sticky, and will last indefinately. I quit usin white lube when I saw what it turns into if it sits to long...
I've worked for engine builders for 32 years and I used that formula for years, never had a failure. I also know several shops that use Lithium and Moly lubes with the same success. Last few years I've used Michigan's assembly lube and again without a failure. However, I do use a good Hi-Presure Moly lube on lifters.
I think pre-lubing is as important as any step in engine building.
I don't think plain engine oil offers enough protection for initial fire-up but then I could be mistaken. JMO

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
ARP lube works great.I think it depends on how long the engine will set before its fired up.The big 3 all use plain oil at assembly time last I knew but the engines also do not set around before they are fired up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts