Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
What stall torque converter do you guys suggest for a stock 347 stroker?
"Stock" refers to factory production parts. A 347 is an aftermarket crank and internals inside a 289/302 block. So "stock" goes out the window. A few questions have to be addressed. What cylinder head? What intake and carb? What cam(duration/lift)? What rear gear? Weight of car? etc...

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Here is what I did. I called two manufacturers Broader and Revmax. Both sounded knowledgeable. Then I got into an e-mail exchange wit one of the engineers at Coan. He did a great job. Sent me a profile sheet to fill out and return. I ended up purchasing from Coan. Everything I found on the internet was all positive about Coan. With the exchange I had with them I would recommend them any day. I got my new torque converter and it will get installed as soon as my C4 comes back from Performance Automatic.

I would recommend that you contact Art Reed at Coan. His e-mail address is [email protected].

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Along with all the other tech details it depends whether it is going to be a street, street/strip or drag car.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Not being smart but personally I hate a automatic. If you drive your car on the street here is what you will have. At every stop light and every time you pull out of any drive way you have the motor turnning high rpms to engage the converter to move. Say you place a 2500 stall. Rpms has to reach around 2000 just to move then converter kicks in. I am sure you knew that anyway.

I sold a pinto with around 3000 stall and told the man car will cranck in gear. With people around the car under his carport with hood open he was junning the carb . As soon as he reached around 3000 the car took off with noone in it smashing into a brick wall under carport. Tore car up and cracked wall. Blamed it on me cause car would crank in gear, go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If its a daily driver and the 347 is built mild then use a convertor for a 351w.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
As others have said, there is way too much missing for an educated answer. Personally I love an automatic trans and have no desire for a manual. With the right gearing, a well built auto and correct converter they can't be beat - on the street or drag strip.

I run a TCI Street Fighter (10" 3,000 stall) and love it. It does not act all like Rcode427 describes below. It's almost unnoticable until you punch the throttle. Then it flashes to 3,000 RPM or so and the tires are blazing. I cannot rev it up in gear when stopped like it's got a clutch depressed until it reaches some magic number. :rolleyes: Suggesting any converter stall with this little info is just wrong.

I drive my car a lot and mostly in stop 'n go situations and having the option of leaving it in drive and just cruise along is great. If I'm feeling frisky (which is most of the time) I can manually shift it with my valve body mods.

The correct combination of engine build, trans and gearing goes a long way in performance. I once had a 2,200 stall and it did nothing. Once I swapped in the new TCI it was like night and day. Everything has to be compatible and mine wasn't at the time.

Whomever you decide to go with make sure you provide them with as much info on the car and your intensions as you can. The wrong one will be a pure waste of money while the right one will put a smile on your face. :D

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts