Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but what was mounted on this plate? I found a 302 engine schematic that pointed to the mount with a part number but the part number did not cross reference to anything I could find. Something was obviously mounted here as can be seen in the photo, part of the gasket is still there with the mounting bolt holes. Whatever it was, that is no longer there, does not affect current engine operation. .

1968 manufactured 302.

Gesture Font Electric blue Wood Metal

·
Registered
314 Posts

That was fun. Not actually a hole there - just a mounting boss.

Looks like the same mounting boss on the 2 barrel and 4 barrel. I found a 1965 mustang pic that looks like the kickdown linkage mounts there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
That is actually the place where the road draft tube mounted on the early small blocks. They also came with a breather/oil fill tube in the front cover. Ford just left the casting there so later manifolds could fit earlier engine by boring out the center. Just worked conveniently to mount linkage there later on.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Wood Circle Auto part Concrete Metal

Ford left the little triangle shape above the right water port of later engines for the same reason as the intake casting. That is where the oil filler tube/breather went in. Early valve cover had no openings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I went out and took a re-look and the kick-down is mounted but directly from the transmission to the carb.

But I am still wondering why there was a gasket there. Most of the gasket is still there. There was definitely something mounted there at one time otherwise there would be no need for a gasket.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
I see the same "gasket" material on the intake runner in your photo. Probably just years of deposits, thicker in that one location for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I did learn something. I have Mannel's books, '68, '69. 70 service manuals and a bunch of other Ford stuff, but never heard of a Road Draft Tube. Makes sense though, this intake was a carryover from '66, end of the Road Draft Tube in March or May of '65. It's just an unused boss. Now I know something I didn't know about the '64 and '65 SBF's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts