Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Got a little to aggresive with the gas pedal and hit 2nd gear very hard and the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor. crawled under car and discovered that the metal rod was no longer in the clutch fork of the lakewood bellhousing. This happens often as im using a 5.0L roller block with the z-bar setup. Usually i just grab the rod and pop it back into the fork, But this time there is damage. The spring is missing and the rod feels reall loose. I see that the spring attaches to the fork but where does the other end go... back towards the drivers seat direction or forwards towards the front of engine direction. My car is stuck on the side of the road and i need to get this fixed asap because it is undriveable right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
The spring goes from the fork toward the front of the engine compartment. Not sure on you falcon, but my Mustang has a drilled hole in the frame behind the motor mount to attach the spring.

The intent is to keep the fork pulled against the z bar rod so that it doesn't pop out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dennis - I had another spring but for a 65/66 mustang kicking around that came in handy. I got it on so I could get home. I will have to re route it when I get a second, Its binding up and the pedal dosent come back up all the way when I change gears. i have to pull it up with my foot.

What do I need to make this work. Anyone else running a 5.0L block and still using the Z-BAR setup??? I know there is a bracket that you can buy that goes on the block, Kinda like the old blocks had. Will that solve this issue. My rod is always popping out of the fork from my lakewood bellhousing. And this time around I lost the spring. The whole Z-AR setup is lose and annoying. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Thanks Dennis - I had another spring but for a 65/66 mustang kicking around that came in handy. I got it on so I could get home. I will have to re route it when I get a second, Its binding up and the pedal dosent come back up all the way when I change gears. i have to pull it up with my foot.

What do I need to make this work. Anyone else running a 5.0L block and still using the Z-BAR setup??? I know there is a bracket that you can buy that goes on the block, Kinda like the old blocks had. Will that solve this issue. My rod is always popping out of the fork from my lakewood bellhousing. And this time around I lost the spring. The whole Z-AR setup is lose and annoying. Thanks once again.
It sounds like you may have a few different issues going on..How are all of the little plastic bushing in your clutch linkage?..If the pedal is binding something is worn out..It could also be that the bushings that the clutch and brake pedal ride on are worn out...

As for the Z bar adaptor for 5.0 blocks how is your Z bar working now if you do not have this?..It supports the block side of the Z bar where the ball pivot would normall thread into the engine block on older blocks..

My setup is like FE mentioned with a spring going forward from clutch fork to the motor mount/crossmember area...This keeps tension on the clutch linkage at all times so it doesn't pop out of place..

One other thing to watch out for is the Z bar bending..This is very common when you start to powershift..If you start to lose adjustment and the pedal gets closer and closer to the floor before the clutch disengages that is a sure sign the linkage is bending instead of pushing the clutch fork..

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Glad that you are still not hanging out along side the road. :)

Sounds like you need this aftermarket bracket:

It attaches to the bellhousing bolts and supports the pivot ball that was originally screwed into the 289 blocks.

You can either make one or buy one from various vendors although it is a little salty. The one shown above is from CJ Pony parts--Part # CEBBE4 That should solve your problem.

Of course you will still need a pivot ball, the felt washer, and the plastic bushings in your z-bar.

Like Frdnut, I too am wondering how you can get the thing to work without the above pivot???

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
You should also check your driver side motor mount. It may be broken and caused this all to happen. What is the zbar pivoting on, on the engine side of it? Any chance you could post up a photo?

Matt

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys, The guy that put the engine in a couple of years ago modified a part from the old bellhousing/block area. Basically where that adapter would go for the roller block setup. Its ugly but it worked for a bit, Cant handle any power shifts though. I am in the midst of getting a new much stronger z-bar kit that uses heim joints and is much much stronger. A little pricy at $250 plus bucks though, And then the adapter plate to fit on the bellhousing/back of block will be another $75 bucks or so. only problem is I need to know if the 65 mustang one will fit and work in a 65 falcon. The whole z-bar assembly? Anyone know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts