Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Couple of weeks ago I made a hard change into 2nd and my z-bar fell apart and I lost the clutch return spring. The clutch rod that goes into the clutch fork of the scattersheild was completly fallen out. So I put the rod back in and put a new spring on and ever since there is a weird noise that is coming from inside the SC. The whole setup feels really loose, And im getting vibration from underneath the dash. It would only make sence that its prob coming from the SC. It could also be coming from inside the oil pan to, But I have great oil psi, 70 on start up, 60 while driving, And 35-40 at idle. Engine seems to run ok otherwise. So the question is could there be something rattling around in the SC? Piece of the clutch? My clutch definately dosent feel right, But that would be because the z-bar was damaged, But the whole setup dosent feel right. Could something in there be causing the vibration aswell? 331 stroker, 65 falcon. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
OK, HOW did the Z bar get "Damaged" from simply hard shifting?

There is likely an issue with a piece of your T/O bearing

My suggestion is to immediately pull the tranny and find out every single issue.

Don't fart around with this or that assumption, physically look at what's happening by removing it and delving into physically.

Can you afford for the thing to break unexpectedly and replace more than just a broken T/O bearing or maybe a lost retainer spring in the fork?

FE

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have ran a 427 useing a top loader with one spring on the throw-out-bearing. I put it in that way and run the pudding out of it . His probaby broke on one side and fell in the bell. Sounds like one side came off and the other is fixing to . Better pull it down like Fe said or be broke down and tear more up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Fe - These damn stock z-bar setups dont like 400Hp, They can bend and cause problems. I need to pull that whole z-bar setup out and replace it with something much stronger or modify it with heim joints and linkages and what not.

Good tip on the TO bearing, But can it make noise when you are just idling in neutral. I can hear the noise with engine running and lying under the car. Its fairly loud. I always thought that the TO bearing was more while you are moving/driving

Also, Can I pull the lakewood Scattersheild out with the engine still in the car. I really dont want to have to pull that if I dont have to. Maybe take trans out and then pull SC off? Thanks once again

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Good tip on the TO bearing, But can it make noise when you are just idling in neutral. I can hear the noise with engine running and lying under the car. Its fairly loud. I always thought that the TO bearing was more while you are moving/driving

Also, Can I pull the lakewood Scattersheild out with the engine still in the car. I really dont want to have to pull that if I dont have to. Maybe take trans out and then pull SC off? Thanks once again
Its not HP that bends Z-bars-its pedal effort. I've used the same unmodified one for 20+ years and it has never failed me even when pushing 500+hp. :)

If you broke the retaining springs on the throwout bearing or damaged the fork pivot, you will have noise almost anytime.

In my 65' Mustang I can drop the tranny and the Lakewood Scattershield without pulling the engine. The major obstacles for me is reaching one of the engine bolts above the fork and dropping the scattershield below the headers. With a little rotation of the scattershield, it will squeeze through.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yeah ding bat what Dennis said. HP is NOT in the clutch it's in teh motor, even a high stage super clutch is going to be fine if your Z-bar is setup correctly. It's all abotu the angles my man.

Now take that damn thing apart and see what broke before it breaks even more.

And it you do and there is no problems then you will have piece of mind and not pieces of tranny...

P.S. The TO bearing has no more effect while driving than it does when the engine is turned off or when you're going 300 MPH.

·
Registered
201 Posts
had a problem once with my 68 mustang, found that one of the springs in the clutch disc had fallen out and was getting jammed between the disc and the crank. made a bad noise and made the engine vibrate.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fe - Ya it seems like the problem is definately inside the scattersheild, Thanks for the help, But now this job is going to be a PITA while working on it in a driveway. Wish I lived closer to Dennis and I could throw it on his new hoist, Would sure make the job alot easier. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I think you're making a bigger deal of this than it is. You only need to pull your shifter handle, your driveshaft straps and 4 bolts to get the trans out and see what's going on. If it's a TO bearing (and I bet it is), put a new one on the fork and fly. If it's a clutch spring or other 'sonofabitch!' then you'll have to deal with it in any case, but at least you'll know only 1/2 way in what the problem is. Seriously - it should take about 20 minutes to get that far. On your back. In the driveway. Go. Do it.

David

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
+1 on what David said. I built my whole car in the driveway. Tranny re and re on these old cars is a breeze. Quit thinking and start doing.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
But now this job is going to be a PITA while working on it in a driveway. Wish I lived closer to Dennis and I could throw it on his new hoist, Would sure make the job alot easier. Thanks.
Not to beat this into the ground, but you're exactly opposite of the truth. A hoist is not much help for something like this. Have you ever pulled a tranny holding it over your head? Unless you also have a large and $table hydraulic tran$ lift, you're SOL. Even then, if you're pulling the bell with it, you're SOL unless you have some of those 6-foot impact extension$, 'cuz you can't get to the bell bolts with it up there. Without extra and expensive stuff, on your back is easier and faster. Seriously.
Is it done yet?
;)
David

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think you're making a bigger deal of this than it is. You only need to pull your shifter handle, your driveshaft straps and 4 bolts to get the trans out and see what's going on. If it's a TO bearing (and I bet it is), put a new one on the fork and fly. If it's a clutch spring or other 'sonofabitch!' then you'll have to deal with it in any case, but at least you'll know only 1/2 way in what the problem is. Seriously - it should take about 20 minutes to get that far. On your back. In the driveway. Go. Do it.

David
i like the cheerleader girl !

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If you need an extra hand, here is what you do. Use a length of rope and loop it around your transmission and up through the shifter hole. Roll it up on a bar, I use a piece of wood 2x2 inch about however long I have, and secure it. Once you have the xmission loose unroll the rope and lower it down on the ground. I used that method back in 1970 with my first 64 Falcon and still use it today along with the jack. Didn't have a jack in those days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts