Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What wheels & tires are you using with your 64-65 Falcon with Explorer 8.8 Rear End?

I am concerned about the wheel & tire space with my narrowed 97 Explorer Rear End. I am thinking about getting Ridler 17"x7" or 17"x8" five spoke Torq Trust type wheels which are only $80/each. It has zero offset so I assume the backspace is 3.5"?

About the maximum width of tire I will put on back is 225/55-17.

What wheels & tires are you using with your 64-65 Falcon with Explorer 8.8 Rear End?

RIDLER[675] - RIDLER - Products

·
Registered
691 Posts
Re: What wheels & tires are you using with your 64-65 Falcon with Explorer 8.8 Rear E

I am concerned about the wheel & tire space with my narrowed 97 Explorer Rear End. I am thinking about getting Ridler 17"x7" or 17"x8" five spoke Torq Trust type wheels which are only $80/each. It has zero offset so I assume the backspace is 3.5"?

About the maximum width of tire I will put on back is 225/55-17.

RIDLER[675] - RIDLER - Products

Well, how much was the exp axle shortened? what is the overall width now?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Re: What wheels & tires are you using with your 64-65 Falcon with Explorer 8.8 Rear E

You're going to have very limited space in the Falcon no matter what rearend you're using. The problem is wheel well width and diameter. A 225 width is about as wide as you can go. I've heard others say they're running 235 but that has to be tight. I ran a 225/60-15 for years but even they would rub going around corners or with more than a couple people in the car.

The only way to know is to take measurments such as wheel offset demensions, rearend width, face to face, mounted tire sizes and anything else you can think of. My local tire source actually mounted a couple of different tire sizes so we could make sure they fit. Many will not/can not do this because once the tire is mounted on the wheel it's technicially used now.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
398 Posts

I installed a 245 60 15 on a 15x8 rim in a 64 sprint. didnt really have any fender mods at all.. it fits at stock ride height just fine.. so there is room for a big tire. back space will have to be just right, I lucked out by using a maverick sized rear end and a 0 offset rim..pretty sure at 56 inches over all axle width you can run a 0 offset 8 inch rim..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I really like the look of the 17" wheels but that requires really low profile tires which are high $ and the rims can be damaged very easily.

Most likely, I will the 15"x7" rims. I am looking at Falken Ziex ZE-512 from Discount tire and they are 205/65-15 ($66 each) up front (due to manual steering) and 225/60-15 ($77 each) in the back.

RIDLER - RIDLER - Products

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts