Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in less than a week I have been full of questions and here goes the third issue I can't seem to quite figure out yet.

I have replaced the solenoid and the ignition switch along with a new battery.

It has started great the last 8-10 times but this morning I fired her up and the starter stuck engaged. I shut the ignition off and it kept turning the engine. Turn the ignition to "on" and it fired right up.,... what would cause this?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
See Attached-

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I've had starters stick after sitting eons, the shaft/bendix can get rusty enough to hold them in, also the copper discs in the starter solenoid( if it has that style) can weld up- especially if the thing is cranked a lot with a low battery...low voltage heats stuff up quick...

Kultultz is right though in your case, the problem HAS to be the fender well solenoid, as it shuts off power to the starter mounted solenoid...

The little posts are usually marked R (ignition resistor) and S ( start signal) R is resistor bypass, it feeds full voltage to the ignition coil around the coil ballast resistor, to maintain hotter spark while cranking, usually it's a brown wire. S is the start terminal to the solenoid coil, usually a purple wire. If unmarked, usually the S is the one closer to the battery terminal. You can verify by reading ohms from the mounting bracket to the little posts, the one that's infinity is the R , the one with some resistance will be the S.

If the R/S are reversed, the coil resistor might hold the solenoid on, but the thing might not crank unless jumped by jumping from battery terminal to the S...most old fords can be cranked with a quarter this way, "made for hot wiring"... Was kinda a dumb design as a little jumper was all a car thief needed, jump s to start, quickly move jumper to R to back feed coil and go...I've started mine that way many a time while messing around under the hood...

Just looked at Kultultz's pic above, never saw one with I instead of R- at least don't remember, but my memory is shot... Never knew either that these had been around this long- the B6...part number means 1956? Wow...That's a long time for ANY part to go unchanged, think my sons 1990 Lincoln still has the same thing too...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Kultultz is right though in your case, the problem HAS to be the fender well solenoid, as it shuts off power to the starter mounted solenoid...
I just showed him the pin-out as requested. I offered no solution. He has to verify hookup first.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What kultulz means is the S terminal get's the BLUE WIRE with RED STRIPE.

The I terminal get's the BROWN WIRE.

You have them Backwards.......

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What kultulz means is the S terminal get's the BLUE WIRE with RED STRIPE.

The I terminal get's the BROWN WIRE.

You have them Backwards.......
DAMN!

You are psychic. I only showed the pin-out. I made NO SUGGESTION as to the cause of the problem.

I think a FMF REMEDIAL READING CLASS THREAD is needed here... :frown:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Perhaps I should have said ""you MAY have them backwards""??

You showed him his solenoid but didn't offer what wire sent where, and I was simply telling him.... I wasn't raining on ya.

WTF is the FM remedial reading class comment for??

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Perhaps I should have said ""you MAY have them backwards""??

You showed him his solenoid but didn't offer what wire sent where, and I was simply telling him.... I wasn't raining on ya.

WTF is the FM remedial reading class comment for??
The ILL plainly showed pin out.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The ILL plainly showed pin out.

Yes it did, but does that actually tell him which wire went where? Not really.... Falconaround just stated what wire went to which post providing the harness is factory stock and not a hacked mess.... (some need a little more info than just a pic of a part)

MRO....

Do i need the course too?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I'm sorry. My PSYCHIC ABILTIES seem to be lacking for some reason.

I thought... :frown: ... "S" and "I" would be self explanatory. Next go around I will include a complete schematic.

This ILLUSTRATION shows I and S it does NOT CURTAIL THE COLORS of the WIRES that go to each one respectively, so what the hell are you saying when you said ""The ILL plainly showed pin out.""

Since WE aren't mind readers could you kindly explain what the hell pin out means?

For a beginner S for start and I for ignition are simple words. They need Wire colors and where to put them . No need to be a damn mind reader in that sense....

As for his continuing to run condition, the "NEW" solenoid could already be bad. It happens all the time. Or it could be wired backwards.... Schitt happens.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
is it my imagination, or is this whole forum going down the toilet? A new guy asks a simple question and look at the replies...

it never used to be like this in here, what the hell happened? theres a lot of smart/talented folks in here, used to really enjoy reading thru it all. anymore its turning into just another internet flame fest... man I wish FM never got sold, this stuff would never have gotten so out of hand :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is it my imagination, or is this whole forum going down the toilet? A new guy asks a simple question and look at the replies...

it never used to be like this in here, what the hell happened? theres a lot of smart/talented folks in here, used to really enjoy reading thru it all. anymore its turning into just another internet flame fest... man I wish FM never got sold, this stuff would never have gotten so out of hand :(
Kind of feel the same way. As i truly appreciate all the help has everyone has supplied, i almost want to stick to Google as to not get things fired up.

·
Administrator
21,889 Posts
I don't know what the deal is lately but following threads all over this forum just to delete and edit threads because some can't seem to conduct themselves in an adult fashion is getting ridiculous. I don't like banning people but expletive, it's getting real old and asking for it to cease doesn't do anything but maybe for a day or two. Most other forums there would be several gone for good and not allowed back here. I'm getting to that point myself. I like it too much here to leave but babysitting is not part of my job description.

I can say that half answers like an illustration when it comes to wiring is worthless. Help or don't help, don't give a half reply. Heck i don't even know what wires go to which off the top of my head. I have to be told. Sad that i have to admit that but i don't do it often enough to remember from one time to the next which thankfully is years apart! :)

Ken sorry for the rant!! Usually, especially the Galaxie forum section, everyone gets along well but here lately many have been getting their wheaties peed in or something!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i do have to say that everyone on here has been extremely helpful. One thing that drew me to the Gals in the first place was the people behind them. Such a nicer set of people than i am used to.

I have quite a bit of experience with newer vehicles and my Gal is #25 for me. Being that i am only 27 thats quite a feat. Its kind of funny, i have an extensive understanding for the design structures and safety/ computer equipement on new vehicles (Body shop estimator, started in paint/ body) yet cant figure out how to lock my door when closing it without using a key..... (had to ask a neighbor of mine)

Its the super simple things like this that i am overthinking and they just seem like there should be more to them. So nice to work on something so simple for once. I hope i never let this car go!

As for the picture of the 2 posts (solenoid), i really had no idea what any of it meant, reason for me asking. I just installed a brand new solenoid in the same exact manner the old one was - and then had the issue with it sticking on. The strange thing was it only did it once, and it was after i had started it at least 10 times. Hasen't done it since then.

Thanks again for everyone's help! There will be many more questions coming as these cars were built way before my time. (again, almost too simple too!)

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
As for the picture of the 2 posts (solenoid), i really had no idea what any of it meant, reason for me asking. I just installed a brand new solenoid in the same exact manner the old one was - and then had the issue with it sticking on. The strange thing was it only did it once, and it was after i had started it at least 10 times. Hasen't done it since then.

Thanks again for everyone's help! There will be many more questions coming as these cars were built way before my time. (again, almost too simple too!)
That's why I told you what wire went where... Just in case you had them backwards.

Solenoid sticking is nothing new. Happens on new ones and old ones from time to time.

I really do apologize for the drama from my behalf.

·
Administrator
21,889 Posts
Wow, 25, that's almost one for every birthday! The galaxie people, for the most part, here and out in public are pretty cool people. Not sure why that is really. Maybe we don't have the peer pressure of the more notable cars out there, we just enjoy the cars for what they are. Only "problem" I've had is getting them to take their cars to any cruises, especially the pre-1965s. There is one i see at shows, a '64 and i did see one other '64 once last year, make that 2 but never again. Maybe they don't feel worthy or maybe all of them don't like cruises and such. But i love going cause i love to meet people and of course gab a lot so i don't run out of 'victims' that way. :) I tell friends there that it might be all bashed up but somene has to represent them and it should make the others that never seem to come to them feel good about theirs! I do see them now and then on the streets driving around though.

As for the small stuff, sometimes over thinking does get in the way. But don't worry, you'll probably have many small things come up that you can practice not over thinking on. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I think it all started when one person came back to town after being gone for so long. Sorry to interject but, just had to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.