Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently rebuilt my C4 with top quality parts and have driven it for about 150 miles trouble free shifting through gears with no leaks at all untill last night.

I hopped on the freeway for the first time sense my rebuild and began shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd so I thought. But I started in second (on accident) so when I went to 3rd it was really neutral (I have a BandM quicksilver rachet shifter) and of course the transmission went to neutral. I was going about 60 mph and I dropped it back into D but there was no engagement. So I put it back into neutral and back into D again but still no engagement. So I put it once again in neutral and slowed down to exit the freeway and once I was going about 35 I put it in drive and it took one second to engage and everything seemed ok.

Untill I got to the light and I was smoking some. I was close to home and my drive there everything shifted good so I pulled it in my garrage and looked underneth to discover that fluid had seeped from about 70% arround my cork gasket at the pan and the gasket was saturated and had dripped on the exhaust. It was a fairly quick clean up and nothing seems to be dripping now I just wanted to see if I should maintenence anything.

Can someone enlighten me as to what happened and should I replace my gasket or was this insident issolated due to my putting it neutral at 60 mph.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Check and top off the oil level with type "F" AFT and drive it around for long enough to get it warmed up and then park it. check uder it for leaks. If it should start smoking while you are driving then stop.
If you don't have any further problems then it was a one time thing. If it happens again, well we will cross that bridge when we get there.
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts