Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that adding new gears to my car is the first thing I should change on my car, since I have the "lovely" 2.73 gears with my 302/auto.

So, what is a fair price to have them installed? What is the best ratio for fuel mileage, it seems that 4.10's are best for an auto, but from what I can calculate I'll be running almost 900 rpm's faster than I am now.

What kind of fuel mileage do you all get with 4.10's with an auto...I get around 24 mpg right now, and I rather like that, but I would sacrifice a little mpg for some better performance.

Thanks,

-Rad

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had my 2.73's changed to 3.73's for $400 with a posi rebuild.

I have a T5 the RPMs are about 700 higher in 5th. City mpg went down 2-3 mpg from 21 mpg to 18 mpg, have not been on the highway to test mileage.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i just priced these out in the tacoma area and the labor alone runs 350-425 and the gears are 150-250 new used gears will lower price but you may need other parts, i opted for a used 8.8 with ford 3.73 gears installed it is going in right now as a matter of fact

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, if you ever figure out your highway MPG's, let me know, I'm really curious, because I'm thinking of going to 3.73's. $400, for everything including the trac-loc rebuild? That's not bad. Was it a local shop?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't drive on the highway much anymore, but if I do I will check it.

Yes, it was and the $400 included new FRPP gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts