Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some numbers on the tranny # c6dp-7006a #c6ap-7d027-c. i would like to know what year tranny this is. thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will this old tranny hold up to a 450 hp 351w?? i will have it rebuilt, but is there a better tranny to start out with ??

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Is there a small vent on the tail shaft housing or on the side of the main case with a tube connected which goes down? Vent on tail shaft housing is 26 spline late C-4 which is good and vent on main case side is 24 spline early C-4 which is junk.

·
Registered
413 Posts
64 - 69 was only 24 spline. 70 - 86 could be either 24 or 26. Going by the number you give it is a 1966 24 spline c-4. I would try to find one from a pre 77 bronco or f100. Those are the heavy duty c-4's with the dipstick in the pan and the bell bolting to the housing not the pump.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
hey, what about servos? Obviously, the "R" servo is the one for performance, but I've got an "H", "B", and an "A" servo, which one do I use in a street/strip car?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ok, I picked up a 74 C4 with a "B" servo today.

I know the "A" is bad... does anyone know anything about the "B"???

I'm rebuilding it with the "Red" clutches and a shift kit, 2800 stall - the thing is only going to see about 300 HP but don't want it to shift like a slug!

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually the B is quite a large servo. You should be ok with it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 2/24/02 11:42am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The 'B' servo has one of the smallest apply areas.I wouldn't use it.
Why do you say the 'A' is bad?.It actually has the same size apply piston as the 'R'.I have had good results with the 'A'+'R' though the 'H' is the hi-po one if you can get one..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why would you say B is bad. When I hold it up against an H the apply surface is almost as big. Now a Z servo is about the smallest I have seen.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The 'B' servo has a diam on the small section of 2.7" where the 'H' is 2.96".The larger section of the B +H are the same size of 3.785".The 'B' would work fine with the mod of removing the outer seal but..

·
Registered
660 Posts
The only reason I said the "A" servo was bad is from what I read on an earlier post... It said that the A servo was the weakest of all of them.

This is a street/strip build so I don't need it to rattle my teeth!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have found that most of time, you can't go by the casting numbers on servos, pump or the case. They may not change for years.

And why worry about the two areas on the servo. Mod them. Grind down/off the smaller o-ring grove and plug the hole. Most of your shift kits tell you to do this anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts