Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Contour dual fan set up in my Dad's 1969 Mach1. He says the fans fit all most perfect. Now I need a fan controller. I dont like the idea of the temp sensor fitting between the cooling fins of the radiator. He says he found a spot to put a sensor in the intake manifold. The car has a/c. I am looking for an adjustable fan controller. Any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Derale make good ones for the money.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at the Flex a lite vsc 31165 and adding the screw in temp sensor 32050. So far I have heard nothing but good things. Flex a lite web site sucks. Any input accepted.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I didn't look at the specs of the one your looking at. Just verify that it can handle the load of two fans.
And I agree, I would rather have a screw in type fan thermostat.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I am looking at the Flex a lite vsc 31165 and adding the screw in temp sensor 32050. So far I have heard nothing but good things. Flex a lite web site sucks. Any input accepted.
I have been using one on two fans for about three or four years with no problems. I like the soft start and run on. I used a standard 1/4" sensor that came with it. I drilled through a 1/4" compression fitting with pipe threads and stuck the sensor down in and tightened it up. It is in the intake and works well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Be aware there is a 2nd edition of the Flexalite Varible Speed controller, the 1st one i bought, i promptly turned the adjust on/off screw to far as it was easy to turn it past the built in stops.
The 2nd VSC has a much better screw adjuster to set the "temp on" & the soft start feature, which starts the fan at only 20% of full, stops that big hit to your electrical system.
I;ve gotr mine set to come on at 185, & i like the 3 way lite switch that allows you to shut off fan, if it shows on when your cruising the hwy, so far the FlexaliteVSC/Taurus fan has worked just perfectly.
I used the harness from the Taurus wagon, so if i have to pull it, rad/fan can come out as a unit.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Best fan is the one I have in my dog kennel to keep my labs cool in hot weather. That sucker will blow right through every pen They got carpet, a little pool in each pen and a bug spray thingy . And the fan is osha approved . :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant find any specs for the Flex a lite VSC 31165. Does anyone know or where to get it. Thier web site sucks and I dont see it listed. When I checked one of the two Contour fans it only pulled 5.5 amps.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
The highest Amps drawn is at start-up. You should try to find that info.

I tried the manual switch route on my Fairlane, sometimes you forget. Yep, I did that! No damage but it got hot before I caught it. I won't go that way again.

Jet

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
There are at least a few companies that make acceptable fan relays with thermostatic switches. They tend to also be companies that sell fans. There will be a few things you may want to add as well so this is something extra to consider.

Obviously, you need a relay to feed current to the fan or fans and it has to be rated for the amp draw of the fans. I had one of those temp probes before and I agree that they don't work well. The thermostat should come on and off at the temp's that you want to run at like I run mine at 185 off and 195 on but you want whatever is appropriate for your engine. Some of the dual fan kits cycle one fan on with the AC so if you want that feature you have to get one that does that.

I believe the kits are configured different if you have a dual fan versus single and some have a fixed thermostat and others allow you adjustment.

You also need a switched hot lead to feed the system and it is best to have direct control of it. Sometimes if it is really hot you might be trying to crank the engine with the fan full on. It is handy to be able to turn the fan off temporarily. I don't remember seeing a kit that has a delay on after cranking but there may be one. It is also good to be able to continue to run the fan after engine off if you are seeing track duty. I also run an electric water pump and I can run the 2 together with the engine off. This will cool me down in a matter of just a few minutes. This is another reason I put the green led in for the fan.

I use a heavy duty metal toggle switch on the under side of my dash to energize the fan. I think I tapped into the on lead of the fan thermostat for this since it is low current. My directions showed how to wire that in. I also wanted to know absolutely for sure that my fan was running or not so I wired a small green led with a chrome bezel into the dash above the radio delete plate. I know for sure when the fan is cycling on to off. My engine is too loud to know otherwise. I have a row of 3 small chrome bezel led's. Red shows power on, yellow shows fuel pump on and green shows when the fan comes on.

I tend to like the Painless wiring stuff for my own uses. They seem to have every other which configuration you would dream of using and their stuff appears to be good quality.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen that link to Summit and it dfoes not say how many amps it will handle. It does say for single or dual fan.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The flex-a-lite handles the contour fans fine. The soft start feature pulses the fan motors for a couple seconds. On the one I had in my Mustang, the highest amp draw I EVER saw was 17A. I did not check it often but IIRC the flex-a-lite controller is rated to I believe 70A. Seems like it came with a 60A main fuse.

I liked it.

I originally ordered a DCC controller but after waiting 2 months I gave up and ordered the Flex-a-lite. Never a returned phone call or email from DCC. Took almost 7 months to get refund which had to go through credit card company. AT least send out a mass email to backorder customers letting us know the status. IT's not that hard to do. If Summit backorders something they will send you a post card saying it's backordered...if you ignore that post card, they'll send another one, ignore that and they'll refund your money. It happened to me once with a pair of 32x14 tires.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Me to Mavman, i picked the DC controller because they list it to use with a Taurus/Sable/Contour fan but, after like 10 phone calls , an online order & no replies i gave up on DC & called Flexalite, had the controller in 3 days, the first one as i stated above i promptly broke the adjusting screw.
Called Flexalite tech, got the 2nd version, 2 day delivery, postage paid!
About a week later, the Flexalite tech. guy called me to see how it was working & suggested an optional 3 way switch that gives you manual overide & light when the fan is on,
3 days later, it came in the mail, no charge!
The soft start feature was the major selling point for me, & works as advertised.
At 100% on full this thing could suck a cat into my grille!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks 5.0 for pointing out the 35 amp rating. I guess I am slowly going blind. I heard good things about DCC but also heard how slow they are on sending the product. It looks like I will get the Flex a lite VSC

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks 5.0 for pointing out the 35 amp rating. I guess I am slowly going blind. I heard good things about DCC but also heard how slow they are on sending the product. It looks like I will get the Flex a lite VSC
They (DCC) used to have better support but I guess they have changed hands....but the Flex A Lite unit looks likes a great unit and the screw in sensor is a great option, as far a going blind I know the feeling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts