Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that people hate these kind of threads, but I have a dilemma. Found a 78 Mustang II, t-top V6 auto. 47000 original miles. Still runs but needs a tranny seal. Deluxe fancy interior in good shape. Original paint I think, white w/ gild pinstripes. part of a carport fell on it so it got a little body damage, needs windshield and a t-top. Also has brand new tires. No rust I can find other than a little surface stuff. Has all original documentation. He says his bottom line on it is $1000. I have no idea what the pinto-mustangs are worth, I've wanted a t-top one and never found many for sale. What do you guys think? I'm planing on a V8/5-speed swap I think

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I NEVER say this..................................................................................

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY ITBUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY ITBUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY ITBUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

Did I ay it enough?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
FE has pretty much portrayed himself as being somewhat of a penny pincher :eek: haha. If he says "buy it" you can bet its worth the money ;). There don't seem to be many of them left. I used to hate them when they first can out, I guess because they seemed to 'destroy' the Mustang image.
Lately I have seen a couple at car shows and they seem to draw a lot of attention.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
They can be a real sleeper. Nice cars with some good options too.
They were just made at a time Americans didn't want smaller cars.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Depends on what a little body damage amounts to.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I'd love to find a project like that- the tee top ones must be pretty rare, never saw one except in pictures... if its not rusty, Id be on it- concern is windshield frame/tee top frame damage- if the front top metal is damaged, a light looking repair might be costly... finding teetop glass and seals might be tough too. Id say even if you had to pay a grand for a top cut/teetop, think it would be WELL worth the effort. I never liked the II much, but the fastbacks looked pretty cool, do it up in white/blue stripes, decent wheels(even the common 5 slot factory mags looked ok- even in 4 lug), you'd have a very sharp car... put 5 lug suspension/brakes/drivetrain updates, it could be really cool and shouldnt cost much to do up. the tops werent rust prone, but finding a teetop in the boneyard might be a issue if that metal/seals are damaged- i would do some quick looking to see if a couple sources might exist first. in my opinion, these years seemed to weather pretty well rust-wise, used to see a lot of older ones in relatively good shape.
I'd look at a fuelcell- they were a pinto underneath, often thought it odd you never heard the outcry of them going boom in a rear impact, but imagine there were a lot more pintos on the road at that time...

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
EVERYONE in the world thinks their $25 dollar mustang is worth $5800 bucks,
hehe- my 69 had a total of 5000 in before I tore it apart in 84...sold the drivetrain to commit myself to the 429 swap that still hasnt happened, now its a dusty $25 looking shell of a car :)

someday though... if I live long enough
Tim

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess I'll go look at it again and probably buy it, it's a good start. The biggest problem is the damage to the windshield/t-top part of the roof, but it's not too horrible. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll post some pics of it when I get it

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If a tree fell on it, it's probably not just the glass.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
A carport made of a tree !
OK, if a carport fell on it, probably not just the windshield.

If a carport fell on you and hit you in the glasses you were wearing at the time, do you think you would escape damage to the frames. Never mind, I probably know your answer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys, haven't been able to get up there. The guy was gone on a Harley trip last weekend, and he said he's probably busy this weekend too. In going to still try t go yet some photos tomorrow if possible, but I have a Galaxie that I have to go look at today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts