Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 68 Torino GT with power steering now , I want to convert it to manual steering what all is needed to do this , I know a manual steering box is needed , but anything else

·
Registered
440 Posts
technically you dont NEED a manual box. but otherwise yes that is all you should need.

you can do it the way i did it which is rip the pump and lines out, drain all the fluid form the steering box and just look the 2 ports together. the ratio wont be the best in the world but it will work just fine

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Most power steering boxes are 16:1 ratio and most manual boxes are 19:1 for better leverage. Find the letters stamped on the little tag on the steering box and look it up online to find which you have. If it's 16:1, then look for a 19:1 for easier steering. Often the manual cars had slightly larger steering wheels also.

By far the most important part of conversion is the alignment. A manual setup with PS alignment is a b!tch to park. A correct alignment lets you steer much easier with no muscle. Remember, people of all ages and sizes had to be able to drive them, including Grannys. Finding a shop that knows how to do a good alignment on a classic can be tough. Check with local car clubs for info.

David

·
Registered
718 Posts
i converted my 68 t to manual and kept the power steering box. i removed the pump and took the slave cylinder and control valve off the centerlink. then i installed one of those power to manual conversions studs on the end of the centerlink.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you do not mind strong arming it the power to manual conversion stud is the way to go. i just put manual steering in my 69 cyclone, you need the box, pitman arm, idler arm and center link to do it like stock.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did that NASCAR conversion before. It sucks!... (IMHO) With the PS box ratio and a heavy Torino, you will not be happy if you drive the car often. Now I just suck it up and rebuild the control valve. Maybe on a Mustang it's not as bad.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not sure what you're budget or goal is with this project. If you want to keep the power steering w/o the mess of the stock arrangement - Borgeson does make a steering box with integrated power support - meaning the power assist lines run right into the steering box, it does not use the external ram.

I have the setup on my Ranchero and love it. Works very nice.

If you want to get rid of the power steering completely - just follow what others have suggested here - that works too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts