Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What so special about weber carbs. I heard their like mechanical fule injection. Are they better than double pumpers?
Kenny

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
What's so special about Webers?
1. You have to be a genius to tune 'em (you'd better be, you'll have to do it so often)
2. They're 10 times more expensive than any other carb set up and often more expensive than a custom EFI setup.
3. They don't make as much horsepower as a well tuned Holley, BG, etc. unless you happen to be... (see 1, above)
4. They look as cool as anything on any engine, but especially on a Ford.
5. I still love 'em, but wouldn't want 'em on my own car.

Now, before I get flamed to a crisp, the above was written with tounge firmly planted in cheek!

·
Registered
669 Posts
well where do i start,there is no better sound!
looks sensational
it is alot cheaper than fuel injection(in australia)
but the fuel bill is **** house

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
, Well i guess that rules that weber out!
Kenny

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Man, doesn't a setup like that have tons of spring to the throttle? You definitely wouldn't want to go on a road trip unless you had a 10lb brick to rest on the throttle, lol!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That pic sure looks cool! Is that set up geared more toward road racing though? I think i saw that set up on a AC Cobra once?

Looks impressive though.............

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
WHy would ther be tons of spring to the throttle? It is just as firm as any other pedal. Just cause there are 4 or more carbs, doesnt mean there are that many springs.

·
Registered
669 Posts
it only has one return spring and the pedal is very light as is the clutch thanks to center force cluthes,i say dont worry about the fuel costs just the sound and the extra torque you get from webers is........im lost for words
hitman kb: go for a ride in a v8 that has webers and then tell me what you think

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Oh, well I just figured having four carbs would require more spring (not four times as much, but more) than a single carb. Just from my experience with ATVs and bikes, more carbs = more throttle pull, but I guess if the carbs are well built and have bushings (unlike my damn edelbrock 750) then they probably wouldn't require too much spring. My edelbrock has probably twice as much spring as most rigs I've driven, and it still sticks just above idle occasionally, POS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts