Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

whats the best combo? Lots of questions

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  adamsperf 
#1 ·
I have a68 mustang coupe with a 302 4speed and want to go as fast as possible for as little as possible this is not a race car but isn't a daily driver either.It runs mid 13s as is.Ihave access to all ford motor families other than the cleveland.A351 windsor would probably be the most logical as its an easy swap but I have this bunch of 428and FE parts.But then again I've got this 429 thunderjet and a 460 crank.But then again you can really make those small blocks go these days.You see my dillema?

#2 ·
Go fast is very relative and cheap is sort of relative too. In general, go fast and cheap don't belong in the same sentence except for ones like this.

500 horses takes around 5 grand or more just about anyway you shave it. You can build up a small block and spray it with 150 horses for around 5 thousand bucks. A blower or turbo setup would cost more. You can also build up a mild big block with a blower for around $5500 to $6000. Of course thats not all the cost because you have ignition, fuel system, chassis, gears and tires to address too. You should be able to build A typical 11 second car for around 10 to 12 grand.

You always hear stories of cheap/fastcars. Theres a Chevelle at my track that runs high 11's and claims its a $600 motor. I stare at it and see the electric water pump and fan, Griffin radiator, MSD ignition and distrib, Holley 750 dp, Ebrock intake, Dart heads, Supercomp headers and they also got a rebuild kit for it and I just can't see $600 there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hottarod on 1/12/02 8:45pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hottarod on 1/12/02 8:49pm ]</font>

#3 ·
I guess what I was looking for was some input on which of these engine families do people think is the most value per dollar.That would include the price of the swap(if its's a big block) and reliability.I want to run just motor with no power adders just your basic bolt ons.So let me hear from you.Anybody swapped in an FE or a385 series from their smallblock.How much better did it go? Did it live?How much did it cost.Remember I live in Canada so parts cost about 50% more up here.

#4 ·
To answer your questions would require more imput on your end.. What are you looking for out of you vehicle? If you run 13's already, how much faster would you like it to be? A small inch engine will require alot of specialty parts to make say 500hp and still be reliable. Not to mention if your NOT using a blower, you'll have to rev the heck out of a 302 to obtain 500 real hp! This is where all the heavy duty "high dollar" parts come in. It's high RPMs that kills engines 99% of the time. However, if you start with a 460 you can use the stock block, crank and rods and easily support 500hp at MUCH lower RPMs. (Ford Motorsports sells a 500+ hp 460 crate engine that uses the stock production parts. And I'm sure the Motorsport engineers did their homework & testing better than any back yard gearheads) Not to mention, the 460 will make HUGE torque and be SO MUCH more streetable. (better idle, better vacuum for power stearing and power brakes, run on pump gas etc) An engine is simply a thermodynamic air pump. The more air and fuel you move through it, the more power it will make. A 300 inch engine can make the same power as a 400 inch engine can. You'll just have to rev the 300 inch engine 33% higher to match the pumping charateristics of the 400. (assuming that you use the same heads, induction ect. on both of them) If you can fit the 460 into you ride fairly easily & cost effectively, I would do it and forget the smaller V8's. We have build dozens of smaller V8's for people and advised them from the start to reconsider and use a big engine. A few months later, they always come back and say "I wish I did the bigger engine instead like you recommended".. I'm not saying small blocks are bad. They can make great power and be made reliable. Big cubes just make far better street engines, when comparing price and real streetability.
Good luck and drive FAST!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.