Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the valve seals on the TFS heads on my '94 F-150. I was planning on buying the air fitting at CarQuest to pressurize the cylinder when another mechanic cautioned me against that method. What has your experience been with that method or others for removing springs while the head is still on the block. Also do you folks recommend Viton positive stop seals. I apologize if I missed this in a previous post but my computer keeps crashing. Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
did he say why the air pressure method was bad? ive been doing it for years with no problems on 600# springs. something i dont know about here?

·
Registered
991 Posts
nothing wrong with the compressed air method. Ya dont bother with umbrella type seals, use a pc seal

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I just stuff a piece of clothes line in through the spark plug hole then bring that piston up to the top of the cylinder. The valves won't go anywhere and you don't have to buy an air adaptor or keep your compressor running. It would be my luck the circuit breaker my compressor is on would pop, I'd loose pressure and the valves would fall inside.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've used both methods and no trouble, I prefer the screw type compession tool , but the pry type works OK, just have to be a little more careful

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why would you not use compressed air?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 11/23/06 4:08am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 11/23/06 4:13am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 11/23/06 4:15am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 11/23/06 4:17am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 11/23/06 4:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
331 Posts
Either way will work. We do it everyweek at my shop with compressed air. It's not going to hurt anything.

As far as spring compressor tool, that's up to you, your personal choice. They all work. One of my mechanics uses the screw type and the others like the bar off of the stud.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts