Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm having a issue on my 65 with the brake lights. I have running lights, Backup lights, turn signals both sides and i have power to and from the brake light switch. I have no brake lights. so where is the connection that connects the power from the switch to both brake lights? is it in the turn signal switch? all the fuses are good as well. where do i go to check from here?

·
Registered
688 Posts
So i'm having a issue on my 65 with the brake lights. I have running lights, Backup lights, turn signals both sides and i have power to and from the brake light switch. I have no brake lights. so where is the connection that connects the power from the switch to both brake lights? is it in the turn signal switch? all the fuses are good as well. where do i go to check from here?
Yes thats the next step

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I don't know about the '65 but i'd start with the plug into the firewall that goes to the fuse box if it's the same as the '64. The plug-ins were corroded on my '64 which caused the brake lights not to work. The fuse box prongs were dirty also and caused a lot of issues also.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Puttster, thanks for that picture it helps a lot. the Green wire from the brake switch has power when the brake is applied and i can trace the power going up to the turn signal switch. However i have nothing coming down from the switch. I am pretty sure that turn signal switch is the culprit and now I need to pull the wheel to get in there.

@Shotrod, I've been through the fuse box and firewall. cleaned all connections. i'm not sure what the pre 65 connections look like but mine was pretty bad when i got the car. my Brake wires run inside the car though to the rear brake lights.

I'll have to wait till prolly weds to get the stuff pulled apart and dig in there. I never had a turn signal switch apart so with any luck it is something cleanable and can be put right back together.. thanks all for the replies.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Power leaves the brake switch when the pedal is depressed and assuming the switch is good. It passes through the 6 pin connector and up through the column to the turn switch. It then routes through the turn switch and to the rear turn/brake lamps. The turn switch is many times the culprit when the brakes lights don't work. The contacts in the switch get worn and tired over time. Two choices, either replace the entire switch and harness or get a replacement switch can and just replace that part alone. That's easier than replacing the entire switch and harness.
R

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Durn, was hoping it was more simple than a switch change but could be the switch after all. But keeping fingers crossed it's a simple wire repair or something like that. Although the switch would save some time in the long run!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what book did you get these pictures from?

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well good news, I took the steering wheel off today and while probing the contacts found #1 the horn contacts were pretty bad, #2 the green wire running to the switch had no power when the brake was depressed.

@FE, its a switch on the brake pedal, not one on the master Cyl. it does have power on both contacts when engaged.

The green wire had power going into the steering column but not at the switch soooo I cut the wire off at the switch , ran a new wire down to the base of the steering column and reconnected it where i knew i had power and tada! brake lights working. I guess being 47 years old the wire musta broke off inside the steering column. Soldered up my wire connections and reassembled it all. back to safe driving again! thanks all for the photos, tips and help.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You know that's pretty rare thing to have a wire break like that somewhere in the middle of a wire run. But apparently it did with yours and replacing the wire corrected the problem. Lucky 'BREAK' Ha. Saved replacing the whole switch. :tup:
R

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Oh yeah I was going to suggest that..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts