Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the plastic trim piece called that goes behind the door when its closed a part number would be good if anyone knows it. 1965 galaxie 500 convertible

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
Especially a mystery when you don't have that year. :) All i can think of is the welt or wire-on stuff that runs top to bottom of door at the opening end, like to keep wind from coming through the door way or guess that's what it's for. Mine is hard as a rock like plastic but used to be cloth covered foam i believe. Windlace that's the word i was looking for. Don't think that's what you are talking bout though. Get us a pic is probably the only way for us to know.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Not sure which piece you are talking about, but "windlace" comes to mind also...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know its tough without a picture its not letting me upload it for some reason.it covers the edge of the door jamb where the interior and exterior sheetmetal come together. Just a molded piece of plastic that covers that edge.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Yeah I know its tough without a picture its not letting me upload it for some reason.it covers the edge of the door jamb where the interior and exterior sheetmetal come together. Just a molded piece of plastic that covers that edge.
Make the picture file size smaller. There is likely a file size limit on uploads. I always make smaller copies of my pics for ones that I post on the site. 800 X 600 is a good size.

The part may be what is called a kick panel in the front, and in the rear it may be an interior quarter cover, or something like that. Just my WAG.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
You also use photobucket.com to put your pictures then you only have to post a link here. Much more convenient as then you can use your pictures everywhere easily.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
The pic isn't very big and we are to look at the inside of the passenger door the edge towards the latch side or the edge towards front of car. Or give us approx size as i'm not sure where you are looking or rather where we are to look.

There is the kick panel to the front, there is the windlace and not sure what the panel is called there and on the bottom is door sill. Probably wrong on all counts right?

Attached to door or body? Or attached to door panel itself? At the top is the window sweeps i think they are called. They are soft rubber til age gets them then they crack and break like plastic.
Wind lace is usually cloth or vinyl covered foam that after years degrades to hard plastic or mine did. lol But tossing out more questions than you asked here!

Also i'm not familiar with '65s but still most things are the same just different shape.

I enlarged the pic a little so made it blurry but it was pretty small. Then numbered the 4 sides of the door. Pick a number and give us a description now that we have a pic. :)

654galdoor copy.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that he is refering to this piece. It covers the inside pinch weld where the quarer panel meets the door jamb. In the picture it is the black trim piece that starts at the quarter window on goes down to the sill plate. They get brittle/broken with age. I am still trying to find a good set.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1937 mark you are correct that is what I'm referring to shot rod and fe were looking at the wrong pic sorry guys this isn't your problem and apparently I'm not making it to easy to help thank you for trying.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Things are always hard on this site, it's why we're here man, NO SWEAT :) :) :)

We DO make you work harder to make our answering questions easier though :)

That's called Windlace and many places sell it, but mostly in Cloth style not the original vinyl/plastic weave that many cars came with.

Keep us in the loop with tour car fixin! We LOVE these old things and the stories that go with them.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly shot rod and I've been looking at wind lace and thought that couldn't be it. See there I could have saved myself looking like an idiot if I just would've went with what I thought lol. The thing is that ive bought enough of the wrong parts if I could save myself some time or money I will take looking like an idiot. Thanks again guys.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
We all have those finer moments! Gets expensive getting the wrong parts if they aren't returnable and if they are returnable it just gets to be a pain. Now you can move on to the next mystery!

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
94 Posts
I am looking for the same replacement part. I have spoken with dennis carpenter, Dearborn, macs and a handful of interior restoration shops by phone...no one seems to have something or know where to get one?

Worried the aftermarket windlace is just not going to look great, because the original wraps around the interior portion of the body and tucks under the interior rear quarter panel.

Always funny how we can find so many parts, and spend so much to restore, and have those one or two parts that no one wants to reproduce...and they catch your eye every time you get in the car. haha. mine is actually cutting into my door vinyl now.

Maybe in a few more years, demand may go up enough for someone to produce?

Thought I would post a few pictures so they are here to view. If anyone knows of this part, or how to repair (I was thinking maybe fiberglass?), please post. Anyone have success with aftermarket windlace on a 65 or 66? I would love to see pictures of your final product.

Anyone know of someone reproducing the front kick panel? I have not fount one, but would be willing to call and see about production of a rear panel?

Names of this part I have seen...rear kick panel trim, b pillar door trim, rear jam trim.

Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts