Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go look at a '64 Fairlane Sport Coupe. It's got a 289, C4 trans (not working) and appears to be in decent shape. The guy doesn't know if it runs as it's been sitting for a few years because of the broken transmission. The interior is all there but needs to be redone. It's a bench seat car with a floor mounted shifter. It needs paint but 95% of the chrome is intact and looks pretty good. The only pieces missing that I can tell are the rear window trim and rear piller trim pieces. It looks like a real nice project car. He's asking $3,200 but I'm sure he'll take any decent offer.

I'm seeing Thunderbolt all over this thing!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well ... it's all relative as far as value. It appears to be a decent price. Condition is the gauge though.

If you check my intro thread you'll see that I picked up a local rust free example for under $4K.

Being a Calif. example yours probably is rust free too. The more that is there that you don't have to redo the better. Engines, transmissions can be rebuilt. Small trim & such is sooooo hard to find so I'd be more inclined to look at those as a guide.

Good luck & post the picks ... I know you want it!!!

6T4 Bolt

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looked decent, straight body, probably never wrecked (no apparent bondo), little rust down near the fender but nothing serious and very complete.

The biggest worry is that it doesn't run and the trans is not working so it's a complete unknown as to what ever else might be wrong. It has power steering and somebody added a brake booster.

I suspect it might be a factory 4 speed car. No column shifter and the aftermarket auto shifter is in the location of what might have been the 4 speed. Also the build code has a "4" is in the trans catagory.

Can somebody decode this?

Body 65A
Color M
Trim 62
Date 26K
DSO 72
Axle 1
Trans 4

I'm probably going to pass on it unless I hear something great here.

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
in 64 in a Fairlane behind a 289 it would have been a C-4 or a ford-o-matic 2 speed I'd think.

And $3200 for that pile is stupid too much.

Don't know if it runs, strike one.

Tranny broke strike Two.

Missing parts, Strike three!

$1200-$1500 MAX.

Buying a car for more than a Grand that dont' run and is broken besides that is fairly foolish, unless it's a special car like a real T-bolt....

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I'm passing on it FE. Too many unknowns. IF the trans worked, and IF I could actually drive it home it would be in the driveway right now. I think the guy is missing the boat by not putting a little money in it and getting that trans fixed. If it were I'd have probably bought it for more than he was asking but with all the unknown stuff I was afraid of what else might be wrong.

There aren't many '64's (two door hardtops with a V8) out there that are in decent shape.

Oh well.......

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts