Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My job allows me access to a good deal of private property, most of which is just open farm land, but recently I went to a site that had an abandoned farm house and a few old cars. I took the liberty of having a look around, and was amazed at what I found. Probably 15 cars ranging from the 10's thru the late 60's, one of which was the 63 Galaxie that I've included a link to the picture i took. It's kind of rough, but for sitting in a field for such an obviously long time, it didn't look nearly as rusty as I expected. It's an early 63 500 XL hardtop, black on red. Bucket seats are gone, but console is still there and in good shape. Since the engine and trans are gone, I got the build tag numbers, and turns out it had a 4 speed, 4.11 gears, and a G code 406 tri power! It's possible I may be able to salvage it. I have a feeling I know how it will end up, but is it even worth trying? Is this thing even worth anything beyond a console and some trim?

IMG_4613 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I've seen this picture about 2 dozen times. It's cute, and the car's value is absolutely crap.
That cottonwood growin out of it did the front section no favors adn it looks to be near 30 years old!

That car is junk.

Besides all of the good stuff missing I'm fairly certain the frame is junk also...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've seen this picture about 2 dozen times. It's cute, and the car's value is absolutely crap.
That cottonwood growin out of it did the front section no favors adn it looks to be near 30 years old!

That car is junk.

Besides all of the good stuff missing I'm fairly certain the frame is junk also...

Hitting FE again with a newspaper. You nuts , that car is worth a bundle . Just because a tree grows out of it the car is what it is. A 63 galaxie G code car is worth cutting the tree down and fixing it. Seen cars worse shape sell for alot. I know where 2 cars like that is but B codes. A B code , same car and motor excelpt B code is 1 four barrel and a G code is 3 duces, both 4 speeds. I just sold my 406 motor and no need of a car but I STILL will give 2 grand for THAT car that grws a tree....in the shape it is in as well if it has a title. 2 cars I know like that one in worse shape fellow want 4 grand apiece and probably he will get it. Those cars donot come along often.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
He done stated the serial numbers are there, out west cars donot gothrough salt air and are well preserved better. That car has a full frame that does not rust as a rail car does. Heck chrome still on bumpers for cores, all molding seems to be in tack, seats no big deal. Title is but ways to get around that as well..........Where da chain saw?????

·
Registered
691 Posts
those are some killer photos!

And you don't even have to chop down the tree, just take the grill and bumper off :D

And yes, if you can get the car for a reasonable sum, it looks to be in fair enough shape.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
those are some killer photos!

And you don't even have to chop down the tree, just take the grill and bumper off :D

And yes, if you can get the car for a reasonable sum, it looks to be in fair enough shape.
Ok we team up, what ya wana use? Chain saw or tools and remove grill and bumper? Saw makes alot of noise and we get caught, removing parts and damage we cannot resell it. Kinda like both are a problem, one redtail and other wholesale. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ok we team up, what ya wana use? Chain saw or tools and remove grill and bumper? Saw makes alot of noise and we get caught, removing parts and damage we cannot resell it. Kinda like both are a problem, one redtail and other wholesale. :rolleyes:
Haha, well a grill and bumper are an hour or so to take off, then she rolls out. chainsaw... well its a damn big tree, LOL. Drop a limb on that baby and she's flat!

either way its a big job.

plus, ratchets are quiet ;)

edit: wait, those old galaxies were one piece engine compartments weren't they... Not like a good old f250 with a radiator support you can bolt off :(

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Uh huh, chain saw it is, now location location location. The right window is down 2 inches, back bumper hanging out drivers window which is down half way, rainning inside, trunk wide open, rain again, is an xl for badges still there, hood hinges still there and hood leaning up against the house. Dag I got a good eye. So when we gona go? Bet yall did not see all that huh?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
OK, no salt, but wouldn't years of leaves dropping on a car, getting into tight spots, becoming moist from rain, and never getting the chance to completely dry out cause some rust in the l-o-n-g term?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
House has plywood in left window that has fell out,wipers still on car, antena there but broke, john deer corn planter behind car, notchback under shelter, back glass is out. Hey I used to live in that house before someone fixed it up.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
OK, no salt, but wouldn't years of leaves dropping on a car, getting into tight spots, becoming moist from rain, and never getting the chance to completely dry out cause some rust in the l-o-n-g term?
Yea probably but she not gone yet. Have to see it close up to find out exackly what shape it is in. Worth saving however. Tree is just about starting to push the cowl and radiator support apart.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's actually 3 wheels and tires on it, so it's not really sitting on the ground, just really close. Probably it's saving grace. That's not the bumper hanging out the drivers window, just some odd trim. The main side trim is still present on both sides, so I'm not sure what its from. Dang... I got enough stuff on my plate without trying to dig this thing out, but if I can easily get 2k out of it, it may be worth it. Not to mention the fun of saving a rare old car. If anything becomes of it I'll post it here, but if the owner reacts like I suspect he will, it'll probably just sit there and rot. And that kind of attitude pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You're nutz. That car is wasted and you will find out if anyone goes and get's a close look.

What MAKES it an AWESOME car is GONE. Don't than mean ANYTHING to you guy's?

oh boy! :(
Ok what is gone that made it a good car? motor and tranny? Got tranny and motor I can build anutter

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You all are forgetting the front crossmember is in the way. Break out the chain saw!
What about the 64 Galaxie Fastback and the 35 Ford in the other pictures?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about the 64 Galaxie Fastback and the 35 Ford in the other pictures?
They worth anything? There's a mid 30s ford pickup with a flathead v8, 59 Edsel Ranger 2 door, and mid 30s Ford car I didn't get a picture of. The car was all smashed up and had a cage in it. Worthless, but way cool.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a bronco that sat under a pine tree for 25+ years and it has less rust than most cali cars.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I sent a gta 66 fairlane to the crushers and I should of got a pic of that car when crane picked it up and dropped it. That would of made a good pic.

The galaxie is probably worth getting. I had one noone wanted cheap so I stripped it , scraped her out. I think in all I got 2200 so far and still got the motor. Should of saved the dash and so forth as well rear end. A edsel I saw like that at carlises wanted a fortune for it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts