Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
door sticker says 351c....valve covers say 351m/400 are the covers interchangeable?
it has a 2bbl is there a smog legal 4bbl carb and intake i could use on this?? its an LTD II....DONT LAUGH!!!!!!!!
gotta have a grocery getter

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes the covers between the 351C, M, and 400 are interchangeable. As for a carb, I think the law is that if the car was available with an option ford a 4 barrel carb for that year, then its not a problem. I could very well be wrong-and anyways that law wouldnt stop myself or most of the guys on the board from doing it anyway. As for carb selection for your grocery getter, Id probably get a 600-650 holley with vacuum secondaries or a edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb on a low rise dual plane intake. I dont think intakes are interchangeable between the motors, so you may have to check that out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I had another thought that may help you out. I know that on some ford trucks the factory labeled the doors as 351c even though they were 351m's. This may have been because of a engine change over that model year, I dont know. Dealers were even advertising that their trucks had the cleve as a selling point. The cleve had (and still does) quite a following in the early 70's. If you know the year we could help you out. Also, if you know if you have a big block bellhousing on it like on 460's, then it will be a 351m. If its a small block bellhousing, like on 302's, then its a cleveland. hope this can help you out a bit more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe you have a 351m/or a 400 because a 351c was no longer made after '74 they did make a 400 with a 302 bell houseing in 73 that had the casting #D3AE-B. If you look at the heads they will have one of four cast on the heads either a "2" or a "4" or a "M" or there will be a smooth cast on the outer corners of the head its on the exhaust side or the intake on the two corners. a 2 or a 4 is a ceveland the others are a modified as far as an intake combo a dual plane and a 600 cfm carb is a great thing on a modified engine. they dont like a lot of carb. I know from experince

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a 1977 ford Ltd II i dont know crap about fords so i couldnt tell you what bell housing or anything it has...all i know is it has a 2bbl carb and no guts but will cruise at 100+ with no problems at all

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Well most likely you have a 351m. 351c wasnt made in 77 in the states. not much of a performance engine, but if its doin that well for ya, why mess with it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
An "M" motor will have a 1" tall vertical wall on the top drivers side of the timing chain housing, cast into the block. It will be perpendicular to the front cover, and is about 2" long. If there is nothing there, then it is a Cleveland. Also, give us the casting #'s off the intake, as anything late than a D4 casting # will be an "M" motor and the intakes are not a direct interchange.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2002-05-31 12:31, Hemikiller wrote:
An "M" motor will have a 1" tall vertical wall on the top drivers side of the timing chain housing, cast into the block. It will be perpendicular to the front cover, and is about 2" long. If there is nothing there, then it is a Cleveland. Also, give us the casting #'s off the intake, as anything late than a D4 casting # will be an "M" motor and the intakes are not a direct interchange.
thanks i will look

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2002-05-31 12:31, Hemikiller wrote:
if i read the correct #'s it is D7OE
does that sound correct
cant see timing cover...cal emissions and a/c
blocking view

1 - 9 of 9 Posts