Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

What's up with 4 doors?

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  66 Fastback 
#1 ·
I'm recently retired and new to the vintage/muscle car arena but I know I want one. I'm looking at a '63 Galaxie. I like everything about the car and the deal but it's a four door. I've been doing a lot of research and get the feeling that a four door is a pariah of some sort. I don't want to invest time and money in a vehicle only to have people say "Nice car. Shame it's a four door" What's everyone's take on this?

This is the car.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
While four doors are worth less than two doors are generally it has become more acceptable in the last few years. Cars like the Dodge Charger have performance and four doors. I've seen some very nice four doors that I wouldn't mind getting. But the two door rules.

#3 ·
I will start by saying I own a 2 door 64. That said the car in the pic looks great, I appreciate a nicely restored car no matter how many doors it has or doesn't have. Buy what you like!

I think if the price is right you should go for it. Resale will balance out based on purchase price of 2 vs 4 doors.

I don't care what people think! I buy my cars because I like them and it makes me happy.

From the looks of that pic of the 63, I would be happy owning that car!

Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Jose

#5 ·
+1

You should buy a car because you like it and will love it. Doesn't matter how many doors or wheels (think Reliant Robin) it has. Most of the Ford full size, unless something truly rare isn't worth much and there is no return on investment. So pick something that truly tickles your fancy.

Now I will admit I love 2 door models, but I also fell in love with a 4 door hardtop. We have a '66 2dr fstbk and a '66 4 dr hdtop. We had a '66 4dr post car, but it didn't do anything for me and was used for parts for the remaining fleet.

Good luck!

#4 ·
At auctions two door muscle cars rule. But on the street the common man who gives you a honk or thumbs up does not know the difference. And when it comes to the 1965, the roof line is far more elegant in a 4 door!

Attachments

#6 ·
From everything I've seen and heard over the many years, the stigma of four-door cars comes from two main factors: resale value and the perception of being a "family" car.

But as time has worn on, it's become more acceptable at car shows and among enthusiasts to have a 4-door. That's partly because there are fewer old cars on the road in general (attrition) and the overall market is changing (more tolerance).

So while there still might be a stigma, it's probably more among the investors and older, hardcore enthusiasts. Beyond that, people are becoming more accepting these days. Either way, I agree with what other folks said here: buy the car you on and enjoy it!

I'd just add that generally the resale values four-door cars just won't be as high as two-doors, nor will they likely appreciate as much in value over time. As such, tearing down a four-door for a painstakingly detailed, frame-off restoration probably wouldn't make sense (not saying that's what you'd do).

But tweaking and getting it running nice is another story ... and the cheaper you get it, the more you can throw into it without feeling you're making a money pit. ?

Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

#7 · (Edited)
1961, I bought a 57 BelAir 4dr hardtop, black/white top, 3sp Hurst (conversion from PGlide), 283 220 hp powerpack engine.

I can say with certainty that none of the guys my age in our group had anything similar. All the other 57 BelAirs were 2dr sedans/hardtops/or convertibles. I thought about getting the top painted black, but never did it.

But, my cousin had a 1958 BelAir 4 dr sedan, black, 283, PGlide with.....power windows.

#8 ·
I have a friend here with a 4 door hard top, they made less of them than they did the convertibles! I don't even notice it's a 4 door most of the time. Doesn't matter how many doors anyway as long as you like it. Some people don't like fords, some only like certain years etc so get what you like or what you can afford...
I drove mine for over 10 yrs shaped like a big red banana, attended car shows etc. There's a lot of people out there that would of just parked it til they could get it fixed. I love my car and drive it and don't let those that can't stand a dent bother me. :) Now it's fixed but a few friends are asking when i'm going to paint it all one color. I just laugh, tell them never and that first they think it needs to be fixed and now it's fixed and they want more, never satisified! lol
I borrowed a dog like Hooch from a car show spectator. Blamed the dog for the dent. That was one massive dog and drooled like crazy cause he smelled all the food around the show. He was adorable!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

#10 ·
As others have said, the 4 doors are definitely becoming more accepted - especially the hard tops. I saw a black, 4 door '57 Bel Air at Good Guys last year that anybody would be proud to drive. If you like it, buy it. Don't be intimidated about meeting someone else's interpretation of what a proper collector car is. Yes, there is a disparity in the value of the 2 vs. 4 door cars. Just be sure you're not paying a 2 door price for a 4 door car.

#13 ·
I love this chestnut color! A good friend had a 2 door this color, it was beautiful, a driver but still i loved it. It was the only car I saw around here that color. Sadly he sold it to fund other projects and has no car to drive at all now. He drove this one everywhere and I'd spot it a mile away coming towards me.

Go for it I say!

#14 ·

That's a great looking car.

My belief on the 4-door vs. 2-door is this, the 2-door cars are harder to find for budget minded people, the 4 door cars (all makes gm/mopar/etc), have been sitting somewhere behind a barn or crushed because they weren't the 2-door hardtop everyone wanted. This holds true with the 70's big boat cars now that were once on all the tv shows as the "bad guys" car....Look at the come back with station wagons now also. We are getting further and further away from when these cars/trucks were built, true auto people will like anything classic, no matter what the make (to a certain extent...lol)

#15 ·
Yes I agree that there seems to be more acceptance of the lesser desirable models like four doors and wagons etc. I just love old cars and I can't think of one I wouldn't enjoy having! When you only get one though you have to narrow your search. I need to win the lottery.:frown2:

#20 ·
Lol yes, near Lynchburg. I ended up going with a really nice 68 that was close by. I'll be doing a post of it when I get good pictures. The four doors wasn't the issue though. I talked to the owner at length. That car seems to be a decent deal. It is a nice survivor car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.