Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty straight forward i hope but can anyone tell me what kind of a job it is to replace wheel bearings on an '05 mountaineer. Is there any not so obvious pitfalls I need to be aware of? I have done wheel bearings on older vehicles,farm equiptment,and semis but nothing with 4-wheel independant all wheel drive that is that new. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Tony

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it is like my '04 ranger ( and it should be). You replace the whole hub $250-300. Remove the tire, then it is 3 bolts, a nut on the CV shaft (torque is 230 ft-lb IIRC) and the ABS wire. Since you will not be reusing the hub you can tap it out of the fit with a hammer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked at the parts breakdown after typing ford parts into my google box and it looks like there is a bearing seperate from the hub called the wheel hub bearing....listed as #1215 on the breakdown.....looks pressed in pretty tight though. the price on it was 108.00$. Hopefully there is a replaceable bearing in the hub or i may just be in a little deep!

·
Registered
780 Posts
much easier to just replace the hub assembly. if you can afford it then save yourself the headache

you will need a press to replace the bearing only.

if you try to hammer the hub apart to just replace the bearing you will likely damage it

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Search you tube for videos on bearing replacement for vehicle, or related vehicle, to show you the process and some will even give you torque specs.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Pretty straight forward i hope but can anyone tell me what kind of a job it is to replace wheel bearings on an '05 mountaineer. Is there any not so obvious pitfalls I need to be aware of? I have done wheel bearings on older vehicles,farm equiptment,and semis but nothing with 4-wheel independant all wheel drive that is that new. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Tony
Front or rear?

Fronts are unit bearing assemblies. Don't let an anonymous website tell you otherwise. They aren't cheap. Timken # SP470200 for ABS.

Rears are different. Make sure you look at the TSB for the rear wheel bearings, TSB 05-25-8.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for that link....looked at the same thing on Rock....kinda spendy but not too bad I guess. When you say TSB 05-25-8 you mean torque sequence for torquing the wheel bearing down?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for that link....looked at the same thing on Rock....kinda spendy but not too bad I guess. When you say TSB 05-25-8 you mean torque sequence for torquing the wheel bearing down?
TSB: Technical Service Bulletin.

There are some special notes and some kinda procedure for doing the rears. Google.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts