Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 67 coupe that i put grab a track 5 leave reaverse eye and shocks. I also have a locker in the rear that isnt helping my issue. I dont want to run traction bars, I figured that the having 5 leaves would prevent spring warp. from dead stop or even 10 mph still gets wheel hop.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
The springs that allow normal flexing are then allowing spring/axle wrap and wheel hop. The wrap still happens at the ends where it drops to two or one leaves, and to some degree at the rear where the shackles give. There are a number of ways to suppress wheel hop, but most involve some form of traction device that limits the axle housing rotation with torque. Clamps, biased and regulated shocks, stiff or solid bushings, and mono-leafs can help, but usually do not solve the issue. The other benefit of traction devices, is that most of the popular styles covert the energy from housing rotation and potential wheel hop into downward force to plant the tires.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Make sure all of your mounts are in good shape(engine and trans) and also make sure there is no slop in the rubber in the front spring eyes...If you don't want to run any sort of traction bar try clamping the front half of the spring ...How are your rear shocks?..Some adjustables will help there as well...

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
They tell me that a Ford has their shocks laying at a angle, more so than an older Chevy. That's suppose to be what makes the Ford wheel hop more. If it starts wheel hopping on you either stay in it or get out of it all together. Don't get off and then back on it quickly. You'll be replacing an axle like I did. I got a set of Traction Bars from Traction Master. They completely eliminated the problem where bigger leaf springs didn't help. Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shocks are new, grab a trak. I guess If I have to run traction bars I will. Im a little concered about the ones that hang down, under ride. Since I lowered the rear 2 inches Im worried about clearance. I dont want to do anything major, just a simple install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts