Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for the rookie questions but this wheel size thing is baffling to me. Looking for wheels for a 1968 Galaxie. The tires on it are P225/70R15. It currently has drum brakes all the way around. I assume I'm looking for 5x4.5 pattern. The tough part is the whole offset/backspace thing. I don't really know what I should get.

Also what's a good width to get? I'd also like to consider getting deeper wheels for the back but the tires are really good and I don't want to buy new ones right now. Can I do that with one size tire? Will it look bad lol?

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Feel free to add pics of yours. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
No prob ! Better to ask -now, than regret later ..aka "hey guys, my tires rub, now what!?" lol

There are quite a few tire/rim calculator sites now, for example: https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

Or..... Call your fave/local tire dealer.... usually they are cool with bringing your car in the shop and giving you decent advice on choices, widths, and rules-of-thumb kinds of things. Plus, if you buy it all there ala one-stop shopping, and for some reason one of the wheels won't balance up correctly, let's say --it's all on them. :D

I'm running 215/70r15s up front on 15x7 Magnums, but a bit larger out back: 275/15s on 15x8 rims. "Right in the middle" worked for me, spacing wise, so for a 7" wide rim, you'd look for something around 3.75" --which is likely the rim company's 'stock setting.

Hope that helps Norm

WP_20180915_16_15_52_Pro by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No prob ! Better to ask -now, than regret later ..aka "hey guys, my tires rub, now what!?" lol

There are quite a few tire/rim calculator sites now, for example: https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

Or..... Call your fave/local tire dealer.... usually they are cool with bringing your car in the shop and giving you decent advice on choices, widths, and rules-of-thumb kinds of things. Plus, if you buy it all there ala one-stop shopping, and for some reason one of the wheels won't balance up correctly, let's say --it's all on them. :D

I'm running 215/70r15s up front on 15x7 Magnums, but a bit larger out back: 275/15s on 15x8 rims. "Right in the middle" worked for me, spacing wise, so for a 7" wide rim, you'd look for something around 3.75" --which is likely the rim company's 'stock setting.

Hope that helps Norm

WP_20180915_16_15_52_Pro by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

Gosh that's a beautiful car!! I know that thing turns some heads!

I love the Magnums but being on a retiree's budget I been shopping. I stumbled on an polished American racing wheel. They are $229 st Summit but I found them a little cheaper elsewhere. No great shakes. Then I ran across a deal for them on Amazon for $69 each! That price is for ONE size only...15X7" with a 4" backspace. Unless I'm missing something I'd say that's a good fit for me. I know the price is!

As always I appreciate your help Norm!

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like those wheels --ESPecially at that price --wow, and I sure hope it pans out for ya !

Thanks for your kind words, my wife and I enjoy hanging out with our car club friends, hitting car shows, cruises and so on. And I'm like you, income wise, so I will pick one major aspect of the car I want to improve --each season, ...and then scrimp and save to see it come to fruition. We've owned it since 2011.

Just talking about gets me fired up --and antsy to get spring going here !! :p

Norm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like those wheels --ESPecially at that price --wow, and I sure hope it pans out for ya !

Thanks for your kind words, my wife and I enjoy hanging out with our car club friends, hitting car shows, cruises and so on. And I'm like you, income wise, so I will pick one major aspect of the car I want to improve --each season, ...and then scrimp and save to see it come to fruition. We've owned it since 2011.

Just talking about gets me fired up --and antsy to get spring going here !! :p

Norm

Well of course it didn't pan out. It all looked good until I placed the order then it said only one left.:mad: After insurance and everything budget was tight but I got a set of the one pictured coming in on Monday. I think they'll look good on it.

Very excited myself. I'm picking up the car today! With any luck the wheels go on Tuesday then I'll post it. Meanwhile look to do some cruising with illegal tags lol. As always thanks for all your help and support!

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think those wheels will look just fine --great find ! :tup:

Nothing like the excitement and giddiness that an old car purchase can bring on --enjoy !!

N

1 - 6 of 6 Posts