Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my wheel wells trimmed to fit a set of 29.5x10.5x15 slicks. Turns out they JUST TOUCH the leaf springs. I'm considering a 1/2" thick spacer and longer wheel studs just to get through this last weekend of racing before the track closes for winter.

Anybody feel strongly either way about running wheels spacers?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'll be running 1" spacers on the front of the 55 F100 project.

The truck hasn't hit the road yet so I have no helpful input other than I do plan to run them ... they are on the truck as I type

I used them for two reasons ...

#1 to get from "5 on 4.75" bolt pattern to "5 on 5" bolt pattern, so the front matches the back.

#2 to even up the "stance" width.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had 14 mm (just over 1/2 inch) spacers under the front wheels of my T-bird to clear the brake calipers for custom wheels this summer. No problemos. It´s really safe to use longer and harder bolts, like Moroso´s, and if you have the sort of nuts that go inside the holes in the rim, get also longer nuts (not too long, though) and you should be pretty solid.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I ran front spacers on my 65 for years without any problems. On the rear I used to use a 1/2 spacer and for what ever reason the lugnuts always seemed to work them selves loose after a while. You really had to keep checking them. I just about lost the rear wheel once. It would take a while perhaps a several weeks to loosen up

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't think a half an inch spacer would be to much of a problem, although I talked to Mustangs Only (San Jose CA) and they said if I put spacers on my car they want me to call them when I drive so they don't go out on the road. Haha. They said it's a death trap, they said the only safe way to do it is get some brakes that push it out further. Maybe I'm wrong but I take these guys opinions very highly and I wouldn't use spacers over a 1/4 inch.... Just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Just a thought...Since the problem seems to be the spacers moving around and working the lugs loose, what would be the problem with epoxying them onto the wheels or the face of the hub? I'd think the epoxy would eliminate the squirm and add a measure of safety...

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I have 1/4 inch spacers on the front of the Galaxie and only problem I have had is if they are not centered with the lugs I get vibs on the e way.My problem is they are a universal spacer like a uni lug.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I've never had spacers but remember having adaptors on a 62 Impala so I could have Ford rims. Never had any trouble with it. Do they even still make those?

On the Gal I've been hearing this clicking noise in the back area and then other times sounded like it was under me like maybe the speedo or something. While under the car hooking up the drive shaft I thought to check the wheels since one was off the ground. I think I found the clicking. I don't think my lug nuts are deep enough to tighten enough. I can wiggle the drum with the wheel on. The bearing I have already replaced and the axle doesnt' move just the drum. Going to get out the acorn nuts and try those and see if it fixes it. If so then it's out to get 20 more lugnuts.

Deb

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I am planning to use 1" aluminum spacers with my new 8 x 17 AR 200 wheels. I am forced to that since the 9" I have in the car is narrowed and there are no 17" wheels with the correct backspacing( 5&quot
.I am going to use longer aftermarket studs. Feels difficult to understand what could be the problem with spacers, should not make any difference PROVIDED the studs are correspondingly longer and the spacers are big enough.
Did you gyus with loosening problem use standard length studs? Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have had 1/4" spacers with stock studs on the rear wheels for 6+ years now on my 65 resto-mod Mustang and no problems. I do, however, have Weld Pro Stars which have probably helped out because the lugs set into the wheels at least 1/2"+. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have the long Moroso studs, the fronts never loosed up but the rears did. I am glad I don't have the rear spacers anymore. Lug nuts where not too long (I checked)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I run about an inch and a half inch wheel spacer on the front of the 67 stang and hadn't seen anything wrong with them after i got longer studs. hopefully it stays that way

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I had some on my rear to keep the sidewalls from touching the leaf springs and my studs broke at the flange causing my left rear wheel/tire combo and the drum to come off at the drag strip when shifting to 2nd(c4). Very embarrasing and folded my rear quarter under where the body rolled over the slick. Then when the car finally stopped, the tire/wheel crashed into the back of my car. Qtrmiler has it on tape BTW so after that I will never use spacers on the drive wheels again. The fronts I never had a problem with.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
89 coupe - did you have stock studs?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
They were Moroso studs I think. They were aftermarket but I don't remember exactly what brand they were. They weren't the 3" studs like I have now but they were longer than stock so I could use the spacers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my wheel wells trimmed to fit a set of 29.5x10.5x15 slicks. Turns out they JUST TOUCH the leaf springs. I'm considering a 1/2" thick spacer and longer wheel studs just to get through this last weekend of racing before the track closes for winter.

Anybody feel strongly either way about running wheels spacers?

Try the BONOSS wheel spacers, they are AWSOME.BONOSS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts