Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the 71 Mach 1 I just bought has ancient tires on it. 195/70/14 fronts and 275/60/14 rears on aluminum 5-slot mags. The rears look like 14x8 (maybe 14x10) and the fronts 14x7. I need new tires before I can put it on the road.

I also may have the option to put 14" Magnum 500s on it if I decide I don't want to use the slots. What tire size would be best for the Magnums?

The slots give it a 70's street/strip look especially with the huge rear tires but I know I can't get that size anymore.

Thanks!
Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Get 15's or 17's even. 14 inch tires are now dinosaurs and most tire places don't even carry them or order them. There are no performance designs for 14 any more. It appears that 15's may also eventually go the same way as 14's but there are many, many more 15 inch rims rolling still. I sold my last set of 14's with tires to somebody that needed them for a utility trailer they had.

You need to decide on your back spacing as well as overall rim width and tire height and width. Somebody should be able to come along and tell you what they are running on your generation car.

Try this chart from Dodgestang over at the VMF. He did an extensive study on tire and rim sizes.
www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fitment%20Guide%2071-73.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts