Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Change wheels?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just bought the car this weekend and first thing out of someone's mouth is cool car but get rid of those wheels... I don't know the wheels never bothered me, but I would like 14in with factory hubcaps. But the more I think about it it is nice to have 15 in wheels for disc brakes in the future. Anyone know of a clean factory looking wheel? Ideas to go along with the white and red??? I feel white walls look great. Ideas please! Also I know factory wheel size is 195/75r14 what size wheel width? Bolt pattern is 5x4.5 correct?
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Maybe leave the wheels or gross? I am a hubcap guy...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cool car! And welcome to the forums!

Yes to 5x4.5 bolt circle.

I’m partial to Cragars or Torq Thrust D on the Galaxies. Period correct mod. You can often find them on Craigslist or FB marketplace for reasonable prices.

But it’s your car, so enjoy it how you want. If you like those wheels then just keep rolling with them. Enjoy the car and the experience and don’t fall into the magazine trap of thinking you always need to make changes to keep up with trends.
- John

·
Registered
260 Posts
View attachment 172011
These are the wheels I put on my 63. U.S. Wheel 15” Smoothie. 15X6 on the front and 15X8 on the rear. The caps are also from U.S. Wheel, several to choose from. Mine are very good reproduction 42 Ford caps.
That is a GREAT look for that car!

I just put American Racing Salt Flats in 17" on my 65 (actually only did the driver's side so far due to my garage layout). I kept the overall profile relatively correct with a proper plus sizing strategy, so the 17s don't look "wrong" on the car (at least to me). I'll post pics later.

BUt as John said above...your car, your choice! Enjoy it any way you see fit!

·
Administrator
22,117 Posts
There's sure been a lot of '64s bought this last week or so! Been 4 right here in my area including one convertible I was looking at to buy my sister for Xmas but decided it was too much work and she's not mechanically inclined at all!

I have those exact same wheels. I ended up with them in 2004 because my tires were rotten and my chrome wheels were more rust with chrome flakes after sitting 20+ yrs. They were $25 each then. I just wanted the shiniest, cheapest easy to clean wheels they had. Now I'm wanting to change to 15" and I just keep going back to these because not everyone out there has them now days or I want baby moon type. The good is I only need 2 shiny wheels so maybe I can do the chromes this time round! I can't believe they said get rid of those wheels. What's wrong with them? I had an 80s other brand in the late 80s with them but gold center as did my sis's mustang had them with gold center in the late 70s so they are period correct IMO. So there is that. They do look better clean of course.

Nice ride, congrats on the new to you car!! You found the right place!! Good luck on your quest for wheels.

Too, get after it with some rubbing compound if you are putting off paint for a while. You'd be surprised how much life you can bring back to old paint.

I had a hard time finding a pic of the red side of the car that showed both wheels!! Not to mention I am not good at taking pics of my own car at a show.

Wheel Sky Cloud Tire Vehicle

Reason for only needing 2 wheels.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

This guy has the wire wheels. Just to give you another idea.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's sure been a lot of '64s bought this last week or so! Been 4 right here in my area including one convertible I was looking at to buy my sister for Xmas but decided it was too much work and she's not mechanically inclined at all!

I have those exact same wheels. I ended up with them in 2004 because my tires were rotten and my chrome wheels were more rust with chrome flakes after sitting 20+ yrs. They were $25 each then. I just wanted the shiniest, cheapest easy to clean wheels they had. Now I'm wanting to change to 15" and I just keep going back to these because not everyone out there has them now days or I want baby moon type. The good is I only need 2 shiny wheels so maybe I can do the chromes this time round! I can't believe they said get rid of those wheels. What's wrong with them? I had an 80s other brand in the late 80s with them but gold center as did my sis's mustang had them with gold center in the late 70s so they are period correct IMO. So there is that. They do look better clean of course.

Nice ride, congrats on the new to you car!! You found the right place!! Good luck on your quest for wheels.

Too, get after it with some rubbing compound if you are putting off paint for a while. You'd be surprised how much life you can bring back to old paint.

I had a hard time finding a pic of the red side of the car that showed both wheels!! Not to mention I am not good at taking pics of my own car at a show.

View attachment 172040

Reason for only needing 2 wheels.
View attachment 172042

This guy has the wire wheels. Just to give you another idea.
View attachment 172041
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
here is a before and after linseed oil. Parked in my garage now, waiting for the DMV to get back to me on title, evidently the title was too old to be in the system??!!!! Once I get plates, I might look in at least new tires, to be honest rust is my biggest concern, body is pretty solid, floors/trunk/doors are perfect. Bit of rot in the fenders and a hole that's too big for the floor shifter(moved from column). Got a cheap antenna to cover the hole, but what is the correct attenna, fixed or collapsible mast? Thank you for the kind post!!!

·
Administrator
22,117 Posts
Collapsible antenna mast is the correct one. Looks like this out of the car. They kind ride the curve of the fender.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Material property Rim

That's looking much better! Wish that stuff lasted longer cause it's sure easier! lol I started with getting mine driveable again after it sat for many years at my dads and then started on the cosmetics. Still on that one and back to where I started back then with an engine swap. Full circle! where you at with all that snow?!! Brrrr It does look pretty solid though. Little soap and water on the wheels and she'll be looking good. Can always change those later on if you wanted or if changing tire size then do now of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A little late but @cbax864 if you want an old school look, I'm running 15" x 6" steel wheels (from '69 Mercury), powder coated satin black. Dog dishes are from '62 (IMO -.best looking ones Ford made in the '60s). I have disc brakes up front and no issues on clearance.

Tires are BF Goodrich 225/R60/15 up front and 255/R60/15 in rear. In retrospect, I should have put the 255's up front and gone with 275's in the back (I may still do this - but would likely need a 7" wide wheel).

Good luck with your project!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little late but @cbax864 if you want an old school look, I'm running 15" x 6" steel wheels (from '69 Mercury), powder coated satin black. Dog dishes are from '62 (IMO -.best looking ones Ford made in the '60s). I have disc brakes up front and no issues on clearance.

Tires are BF Goodrich 225/R60/15 up front and 255/R60/15 in rear. In retrospect, I should have put the 255's up front and gone with 275's in the back (I may still do this - but would likely need a 7" wide wheel).

Good luck with your project!

View attachment 172300
Good look, ok right now I have decided wheels are the least of my issues but I really like the look you have and the advice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I found a wheel and tire package I want, is anyone else running torq thust II 15x7 front 15x8 rear
Will it fit??
What size tires for aggressive stance and fitment? Thanks!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts