Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to stretch my rear wheel wells a little. Cut out the front of wheel well opening and move it forward to keep the original look. I Have put 29x12.50x15 Hoosiers on the back. They do fit and I could get away with just trimming a little off inside edge of rocker. and have a good 1"+ of clearance.

But I have a good bit more room for width, and plan on eventually running 29x15.50x15 tire's. Which would create issues where the rear of rocker/front of wheel opening and front edge of tire. In the picture the marker line on rocker would give me .25" of clearance. I know I would need more. But how much more do you all think?? 65 Comet with leaf springs and 4 speed. I know slicks grow and don't think I would have to worry about that as long as I ran 29x12 or smaller.. The 29x15.50x15 Hoosiers that I plan on running will be street tires. They should not grow correct?? I was going to add .75" to have 1" of clearance. Will this be enough? or am I missing something? In the picture I have the wheel/tire pulled up into well to where I think it will be when done. The tire gets a little closer as I let it drop and got farther as I pulled it up into wheel well.
Also I am only using the main leaf at this time so it was easier to pull up into opening.
Thanks for any and all opinions

Lou

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
You say it's a '65 Comet and will fit a 29-12.50/15 tire and you're planning on a 29-15.50/15? I don't even know how you did that unless it's been fully tubbed.

I'm running 295-50/15's on my Falcon and that was after a mini-tub and cutting some sheet metal like you're talking about. My tires are roughly 26" tall and 12" wide.

John

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
All tires grow depending on several factors, like speed, tire construction, tire section vs wheel seat width, etc. What speeds do you anticipate? What tire and wheel combinations? Don't forget tire shake and wheel hop effects. What traction devices will you use? Strictly street with little wheel hop should be fine with 1" as the rear axle deflects rearward on bumps, but goes every which way under high load/speeds, including forward with axle wrap and bushing compression. As your minimum clearance area and the horizontal tire centerline are about even, I don't think it will be a concern (controlled wrap also lifts providing more clearance), but it's nice to avoid mods later.

David

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
How does it look at the rear? If you have lots of clearance there you may want to even out the opening at the front to better center the wheel.

As David suggested, I would probably consider widening the opening now vs doing it 'after the fact.' It would be pretty easy to do while the car is stripped and on the rotisserie.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You say it's a '65 Comet and will fit a 29-12.50/15 tire and you're planning on a 29-15.50/15? I don't even know how you did that unless it's been fully tubbed.

John
I wouldn't consider it fully tubbed and not really mini tubbed. I moved the rear frame rails inward 5" which moved spring mounts, shock mounts, and springs all in 5"
Then widened the original wells. The 29-12.5/15 on a 10" Crager SS sits pretty far in the well. A good 2.5" in from quarter. With the 15.50 the tire should have 1.75" clearance to quarter panel.

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All tires grow depending on several factors, like speed, tire construction, tire section vs wheel seat width, etc. What speeds do you anticipate? What tire and wheel combinations? Don't forget tire shake and wheel hop effects. What traction devices will you use? Strictly street with little wheel hop should be fine with 1" as the rear axle deflects rearward on bumps, but goes every which way under high load/speeds, including forward with axle wrap and bushing compression. As your minimum clearance area and the horizontal tire centerline are about even, I don't think it will be a concern (controlled wrap also lifts providing more clearance), but it's nice to avoid mods later.

David
David,
Its going to be mostly street car, Drags couple times a year. Speeds at drag strip?? Really don't know 100?? Highway 60-65??
The tires are Hoosier Pro Street Radials. Wheels Cragar SS 15x10 with 4.25" BS. Have Lakewood Traction Bars, also have solid front bushings for springs. 4 speed, 4:11 Traction loc.
The Car is going to be fun car, Toy, So it will get hammered on at times.

Yea it's nice to avoid mods later, very nice! but sometimes it happens. And I realize I may have some. But I agree with you and maybe I should go for 1.5"-1.75" clearance.

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it look at the rear? If you have lots of clearance there you may want to even out the opening at the front to better center the wheel.

As David suggested, I would probably consider widening the opening now vs doing it 'after the fact.' It would be pretty easy to do while the car is stripped and on the rotisserie.
The opening is swept?? back at the rear. Much different from the front. I am trying to get away with bare min to try and keep the mod less obvious and would also like to use the stock trim. Which I think I can do if I only go 1" or so. But I will prob go more just in case. And figure out the trim later. Even at 1.5-1.75" I still might be able to get the trim to work

Lou

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
[EDIT - Ha, I just saw your reply above. Duh. I think you'll be fine bud.] Well, you're running radials then, and a bias will grow more (about 1 to 1.25" full diameter or half that on each 'side' in that size at 125 or so), so you'd be fine for smooth running clearance, and if using poly or firmer bushings and something to prevent wrap (besides slapper bars) - I think you're good. The radials don't burble around as much as bias with tire shake. A hair more would be nice if it's easily do-able.

David

PS: Did you get a good deal on those 29-12.50R's you could share? I have a project that could use exactly that size if I can steal them somewhere. Otherwise it's another pair of slightly shorter 325-50's.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running 295-50/15's on my Falcon and that was after a mini-tub and cutting some sheet metal like you're talking about. My tires are roughly 26" tall and 12" wide.

John
John

Was curious how much clearance you have on your Falcon between the rocker/front of wheel opening and front edge of rear tire?

Does it rub there?

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[EDIT - Ha, I just saw your reply above. Duh. I think you'll be fine bud.] Well, you're running radials then, and a bias will grow more (about 1 to 1.25" full diameter or half that on each 'side' in that size at 125 or so), so you'd be fine for smooth running clearance, and if using poly or firmer bushings and something to prevent wrap (besides slapper bars) - I think you're good. The radials don't burble around as much as bias with tire shake. A hair more would be nice if it's easily do-able.

David

PS: Did you get a good deal on those 29-12.50R's you could share? I have a project that could use exactly that size if I can steal them somewhere. Otherwise it's another pair of slightly shorter 325-50's.
When you say you think i'll be fine is that with 1" or with 1.75"??
My front bushings are aluminum, The Lakewood traction bars I have are slapper bars correct?

I don't have my spring perches welded to housing yet so I can slide the housing and wheel/tire over to the left or right when I do the opening(s) to simulate the wider tires (the 29x15.50)

I bought the 29-12.50R's used for $200 on wheels off of CL. A good 75% tread left and I will sell the wheels. I wish I found good deal on new but couldn't. The 29-15.50R's are even more pricey but I have been looking on CL and racing junk almost daily. The MT's Sportsman Radials are a little cheaper but I don't like the tread design. Look import-ish?? to me.
But if I found good deal I may buy them.

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
1" is really close, and you might have to switch from Lakewood slappers to control rods/CalTracs/under-riders, etc. - but I doubt it. You're only in the low 100s, so growth is minimal, solid bushings, clearance will increase with both bumps and torque (body lift) and tire shake shouldn't be an issue. The bigger point is, in the unlikely case it does touch, it can be corrected without body changes.

David

PS: Can we get a full-quarter-panel shot with clearance (first pic posted, but the whole tire and well in the pic) and a full side shot of front and rear tires? Looking for relative wheel well positioning. Looking awesome, dude! :tup:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1" is really close, and you might have to switch from Lakewood slappers to control rods/CalTracs/under-riders, etc. - but I doubt it. You're only in the low 100s, so growth is minimal, solid bushings, clearance will increase with both bumps and torque (body lift) and tire shake shouldn't be an issue. The bigger point is, in the unlikely case it does touch, it can be corrected without body changes.

David

PS: Can we get a full-quarter-panel shot with clearance (first pic posted, but the whole tire and well in the pic) and a full side shot of front and rear tires? Looking for relative wheel well positioning. Looking awesome, dude! :tup:
I agree, and been thinking of that. Moving axle back on the spring would be the easiest. Would probably need new drive shaft too, maybe.
Looking thru my pictures tonight I might have the wheel/tire a little high in wheel well.
whole quarter

I don't have the front wheels/tires on, no suspension/steering
Here is shot whole side

Lou

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
OK, so my reasoning for the full side shots were to get an idea of tire placement in both wheel wells. If you can find another Comet with the front tire size you'll use, then I'd space it relative to that. Assuming you can run the clearance you have, the mechanical requirements are solved, and it becomes a visual thing. You don't want the fronts to look too far back in the well or the rears to look too far forward in theirs - relative to each other. Do your thing.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
John

Was curious how much clearance you have on your Falcon between the rocker/front of wheel opening and front edge of rear tire?

Does it rub there?

Thanks
Lou
Maybe 1/2". :eek:

It doesn't rub there but does on the inside frame rails only due to bad spring bushings which are in hand now. My clearance issues are my own fault because I didn't have the tires & wheels in hand when I had the tub done so we were really kinda guessing on offsets, etc. I'll never recommend that proceedure! :tdn:

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
John

Does it rub there?

Thanks
Lou
I have maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance, matter-of-fact I can't shove my index finger in between the tire and rocker edge and it has never rubbed at that point that I know of.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I have maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance, matter-of-fact I can't shove my index finger in between the tire and rocker edge and it has never rubbed at that point that I know of.
Exactly like mine then, and hasn't rubbed there either. My inner fender has about the same clearance and nothing there as well. It's all on the frame and inside sidewall. I'm hoping that the new poyl bushings will stop that.

John

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so my reasoning for the full side shots were to get an idea of tire placement in both wheel wells. If you can find another Comet with the front tire size you'll use, then I'd space it relative to that. Assuming you can run the clearance you have, the mechanical requirements are solved, and it becomes a visual thing. You don't want the fronts to look too far back in the well or the rears to look too far forward in theirs - relative to each other. Do your thing.
:tup:
David
OK. Know what you mean. My front tires/wheels are/were?? pretty far foward in the well. Picture from when I got car. Tire turned a little in picture but the front tires are more foward.

I think i'll be OK as far as apperance.
I have a brand new set of 215/70/15's I bought for my Goat and never used, went with different size. I am thinking they may be a bit big, but going to try them before I buy new. Front tires are cheap compared to the rear so if I need to go smaler not a big deal.

Hope to be doing my thing this weekend. :)

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you Guys are getting away with 1/2 - 3/4 I should be OK with 1" -1.25" I'm thinking. I am going to cut it out this weekend and see what it looks like at different clearances but would like to keep it at a min.

Thanks John, Thanks Retyler,

Lou.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Up front I'm running 165/80-15's on 15x4 wheels. I don't think a 215/70 is too big unless you're going for that Skinny/Fat look like I did.

John
I'm hoping they fit, Not really going for skinny/fat look. I have 15x6 wheels for the front.

Well I Cut the wheel opening and moved it forward. Also slide my whole axle with wheel/tire over 1" to see where the outside of a 29/15.5 will sit in new opening. I now have about 1.5" clearance. The gap looks a little big to me, I might make it a little smaller but I think I just got use to seeing the tire way foward in the well. The extra room wouldn't hurt either. Here is what it looks like.
Lou

1 - 20 of 25 Posts