Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is an off the shelf Motorcraft FL-1A not good enough for a motor and a "racing" filter is in order ? What are the rules, when am i gonna blow the regular kind up ???? I have a high volume oil pump "20% more volume" - big deal- and am planning on useing 15/50 oil. thanks-

·
Registered
908 Posts
FL-1HP is only like 8 bucks. Any auto parts store can get it in a day, unless they already have one on the shelf.

The FL-1HP, as was explained to me, does not bypass internally. That way, if you have a bunch of crud in your oil it won't get past the filter no matter what.

I use the FL-1HP exclusively on my car. Cheap insurance.

Greg

·
Registered
945 Posts
Couldn't agree more....

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
FL400S on the Maverick. FL1A wont clear the steering shaft. No oiling problems yet.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Good info! Also i might ad that the passages are much bigger in comparison to the standard oil filter. Its defeating the purpous with a HV oil pump and a stock oil filter. I use the K&N Or The FRAM HP1. Same as the FL1A

·
Registered
460 Posts
Since the FL-1HP does not have a bypass, what happens on a cold morning when that 20W-50 oil is too thick to flow through the filter fast enough? Oil-starved bearings, that's what.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-10-11 17:01, 67Coug wrote:
Since the FL-1HP does not have a bypass, what happens on a cold morning when that 20W-50 oil is too thick to flow through the filter fast enough? Oil-starved bearings, that's what.
Thats why its sold as a "racing" filter. As the driver, you need to be sure of what you are buying and be ready to deal with any exceptions over and above a "mom 'n pop" ride.

No different than the extra rprecautions we take when changing to aluminum heads and manifolds, you know you have to be more aware of changing out the coolent more often or bigger tires - no Fat Chicks in the Back seats, while moving!

·
Registered
908 Posts
On 2006-10-11 17:01, 67Coug wrote:
Interesting, I have never seen that. Even on 30 degree starts, with 20w50 oil, I always had 80+ lbs of oil pressure almost immediately.

I have not seen an oil starved bearing in ANY of my big blocks since switching to the FL-1HP filter.

Greg

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Good point again.
I had a HV Melling on my 2000cc 4banger and always used my HP1's or K&N's with 20-50 Valvoline Racing Oil. If the crank hadnt bent on me (common 2.0 Problem) and wiped the center Main Id probably still be running that engine. After 80,000+ Miles the rod's and Other 4 main bearings were pristeen condition. I was actually surprised.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts