Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well
when do you finally say enough and throw parts out?
For example i have 6 sets of headlight buckets complete for a 64 galaxie,
my car has a good set on it, but collected these for years since there
known to rust out on the east coast.
Ive tried selling parts and its tough or not the right part the need etc.
But then it kills me to throw away a part that i know cant be brought back, but then tired of taking up space in the garage/shed/basement of the house :)
ANyone else feel like this?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No, I sell all parts I can get at swap meets. All the time selling and buying. Somewhere down the line someone will buy stuff or you can throw in the things you wana get rid of. You live in PA , Goto swap meets if you got a big enough load. People will buy whatever you take. I buy and sell 90 percent only hipo motors but noone wanting them it seems unless you near give them away.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well
when do you finally say enough and throw parts out?
For example i have 6 sets of headlight buckets complete for a 64 galaxie,
my car has a good set on it, but collected these for years since there
known to rust out on the east coast.
Ive tried selling parts and its tough or not the right part the need etc.
But then it kills me to throw away a part that i know cant be brought back, but then tired of taking up space in the garage/shed/basement of the house :)
ANyone else feel like this?
Ahhh, nice post, and verry relevant! I struggle with this every day (not just with my 64 Gal's parts, but in other collectibles like old license plates). 'Luckily' I live in a small house, have small garage, and live in an area where having 'lawn ornaments' (aka old broken down parts cars) is verboten.
I sell on eBay for a living --maybe that makes it easier for me to 'dispose' of purchasing errors, overages, and unneeded items. I also sell on Craigslist (or CL for short), but not every place in the US has a strong CL market. Right now I have all the used springs, shackles and coils left over from replacing them on my '64. They'll go up for sale as soon as the white stuff goes away. My wife tho.....she sez "oh geez, dump that sh**" it looks aawful out there!",.... but to me, I see some 'kid' coming along in his broken down '64 and me making HIS day, and while at it, a paltry couple of bucks back to throw into my Gal. I've gotten to the point where I make sure she sees that I throw stuff away .... we have a little ceremony, play 'taps', then send it to it's final resting place. She then sees that, feels relieved that I am not 'certifiable' ...and of course, between me and you, I've made my "sacrificial offering", ergo, alles ist gut! Hope ya giggle as much as I did writing all this. ;))
Norm

·
Registered
203 Posts
I only throw stuff out when it meets five criteria:

1) I can't use it now or in the foreseeable future.

2) I have made an honest attempt to sell it at a more than fair price on the open market.

3) It is not a rare part, (even the common parts on my wagon can be rare if they are Mercury-specific)

4) I can't find a club member who can use it if I offer it for free or near-free.

5) I can no longer reasonably hang on to the part due to a lack of space.

As I finish up my projects I will be able to clear out some of the stuff I have been hoarding until it is assembled, but I will always keep a core supply of stuff stuff such as spare glass and some external trim. Hopefully the rest will help someone who is struggling to find a part they need to complete their project.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Every time i get rid of something i end up needing it and i don't have much in the way of spares but... A few years ago, for the first time, i tossed something and then had to look all over ebay to find someone parting a '64 to get another!! But yet can hang onto something for 20 yrs and not need it like said above, til... LOL

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is not even half of my stuff. It will be a hugeproject when I clear things out, but I have been able to help many people with stuff they needed as well as making sure I am covered on my projects.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
It's kinda funny for me reading these. Although the husband doesn't tell me to throw it out i know secretly he'd love to toss every auto related part out the door and the car too probably. If my car was a computer or some other gadget, now that would be a different story! So it seems no matter male or female, the "other half" most often is the same! LOL

I will add though that there is several drawers of wires and other goodies for computers and other electronics I'd like to toss but know that the minute the garbage truck rolls away we'd need that wire or cooling fan or whatever it may have been just like car stuff!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
It's kinda funny for me reading these.
Hey Mon Deb,
You know what else is funny? It's when cleaning stuff up, and things get put where one won't forget where whatever it is is, and then the next time that whatever it is is needed, one can't remember where it was put so that it wouldn't be forgotten!

Was looking for my "Go-No-Go" Feeler Gauges the other day, and couldn't find them where I was sure I had put them. Then yesterday, the Fuse in the Radio Shack Multi-Tester blew, and it had to be taken apart and a new Fuse installed. So I got out my little electronics tool kit, and VOILA', there was the Go-No-Go Feeler Gauges.

Now if Ms. American's Rear Transmission Seal would just show up!

JC

·
Registered
287 Posts
Let's see....the last time I threw out a part was.....NEVER! I still have parts for cars I haven't had for 30 plus years. You never know when you may need that part, but odds are you will. Awhile ago I hit a deer with my 63 Galaxie, which was very bad news. The good news was I had all of the parts needed for the repair in the parts department. Years ago I did dispose of all my Chevrolet parts, to my son! Try to keep anything you may need later. I try to keep mine to what I may need or want. I've owned my Galaxie since 1985 and don't plan on seeing it leave. When it does, the parts for it go too.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I rarely ever throw anything away...when I moved procrastinated and the last day just HAD to toss out some car/machine stuff I'd never use... the scrapper guy loved that day- guy in a geo/jeeplike thing piled all that stuff in the back and drove off, had to be ~750 pounds.

since then built a even bigger garage, tons more junk out there now...its all good, but useless if I do nothing with it, know what I mean?

I have gave away some stuff I shoulda sold... a complete shaker for a old torino(guy needed one for a nice car, I wasnt gonna use it- knew they were pretty rare, but knew it would have a good home too) a couple cars that shoulda been sold...I just never felt right selling stuff, but have no problem collecting stuff thats still got some life left in it...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I struggle with this issue but I have been getting ruthless lately. I'll probably have to move in a few years so I've been doing some selling as well as throwing out when it's a "lost cause" type of part. I'm at the age when I'm starting to realize possesions possess you not the other way around. He who dies with the most toys is still dead and your kids sell it off cheap cause they don't care or worse they squabble over it and that's no good.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I'm at the age when I'm starting to realize possesions possess you not the other way around. He who dies with the most toys is still dead and your kids sell it off cheap cause they don't care or worse they squabble over it and that's no good.
very well said.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Let's see....the last time I threw out a part was.....NEVER! I still have parts for cars I haven't had for 30 plus years. You never know when you may need that part, but odds are you will. Awhile ago I hit a deer with my 63 Galaxie, which was very bad news. The good news was I had all of the parts needed for the repair in the parts department. Years ago I did dispose of all my Chevrolet parts, to my son! Try to keep anything you may need later. I try to keep mine to what I may need or want. I've owned my Galaxie since 1985 and don't plan on seeing it leave. When it does, the parts for it go too.
I know what you mean, I hit a deer in our 2007 Van. It cost 4,500.00 to fix .they put all new parts on it.. Parts plentyfull for the newer plastic cars we have. Our ole 63 on the OTHER HAND. That's why I'm looking for a 63 ford boxtop 4 door sedan.. I saw one in real ROUGH shape the guy wanted 1,500.00 for it.. DOESN'T HURT TO WANT..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts