Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my understanding with high lift cams pressed in studs will lift out. what is considered a high lift cam? What is the point that you definately need to have screw in studs installed. What's the lowest lift acceptable to us pressed in studs?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I was told that .500 lift is about the max. for press fit studs and 300lbs. seat pressure(open).
I am, however, running a cam with .519/.523 lift and 310lbs seat pressure(open), with press fit studs with no issues.......so far.(knock on wood)

·
Registered
991 Posts
if you want to do it on the cheap wayyyyy back in the day we would pin the press in studs, worked like a charm for what it is

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I would say that if you are a member of this site then you need the screw in studs.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-11-17 13:59, bigpres20012001 wrote:
Is it difficult or tricky to install them yourself. Remove press fit studs, drill, tap anything else to it?
tap it slightly crooked and your in trouble.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
You really need to have a machine shop do this. The bosses need to all be at the same height and the threads need to be straight or your rockers won't contact the valve stems right. Have guide plates added while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
On 2006-11-17 20:28, pbrown wrote:
You really need to have a machine shop do this. The bosses need to all be at the same height and the threads need to be straight or your rockers won't contact the valve stems right. Have guide plates added while you're at it.
Amen. Unless you know whats involved and have the machinery and tools to do it right, leave this one to the pros.

It donesnt cost all that much probably around a 100 or less. Not including the cost of the studs if you go ARP which id recommend BTW.
Its $ well spent.
good luck

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It's not the camshafts lift, its the spring pressure that is the problem..They go hand in hand however as you will need stiffer springs to run a high lift cam..It's hard to get a definite answer as to how stiff a spring you can run without problems..I think it varies from head to head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts