Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this Sun Super tach and I was wondering about what year it's from?

I want to have the inside of my Galaxie look pretty era correct and need to know if this tach is from the mid 60s to early 70s?

I know it's the kind that does'nt use a transmitter box so it's not super old but,I just wanted to see any anyone here remembers this style and around the year it was made.

Any guesses?

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5-liter 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460
WANTED 1966 Galaxie parts e-mail with info

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 4/12/02 12:52pm ]</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
That one is to new. You need the Sun Super Tach with the redline needle that adjusts from the center of the face. It has a small chrome knob in the center. I think you would be era correct with that one. (66-70) Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
No transmiter box with that tach. I have one like it. I had it in my 66 Fairlane in 1970 and was used when I bought it.
Do you remember the old Dixco tachs with the red,white and blue flag theme tach cup?
I think these were introduced about 71 or 72? They looked just like a Sun tach. Just a thought? Hope this helps. Happy hunting. Jim

·
Registered
522 Posts
That tach is definately one of the newer ones. The one you want is the Sun with a fully chromed case. My dad has one and a matching? set of Stewart Warner gauges. He has them hidden in his garage waiting for a project. The tach does'nt have a sending unit. I can remember these being mounted in a new 69 Ranger XLT. They would be more period correct. If I can get a picture some time I will.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I still have the one I bought in 1968. I remember back then you could buy one which used the box and another which was transistorized. The one which used the box was considered the superior one.

Mine has a red outline with red shift needle.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you dont want to hunt the sawp meets for one, I think this one would look good:

you can get it without the Moon logo too.
http://mooneyes.com/ .

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/14/02 9:13am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Somewhere in my 5 acres of junk I have a Motorola circa 1968 & a Shelby tach that uses a battery. If it were me I'd do the Moon tach too!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do any of you guys know what mounting cup works with this tach?

Can I use a Sun Super Tach mounting cup of with the same size face?

I have found some tach mounting cups for sale but,they don't say anything about working with the Sun "Mach series" tachs.

Any ideas?

//abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_1bb56129ed280d2d536ce6e16f/i-1_B.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts