Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about in the kick panels, or putting 2 - 4" speakers in the OG dash grill.

What about the package tray on a 64 XL ?

Whos cutting where ?

I need ideas

L

·
Registered
981 Posts
My plans are for them to go in the kick panels, maybe a good 3 or 4 way round speaker, and then 2 6x9's in the package tray. My package tray is the 500's so if I [email protected]$& up, it's cheap to replace, a XL's? Definetely would be sweet and fairly easy. As far as subs go, we'll see. I gotta talk to my brother, he's more a stereo guru. Maybe a speaker in the dash too would be good. My problem lies in the kick panels, do I fiberglass or cut the metal behind??? Again, we'll see.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went with two 6"x9" speakers in the package tray of my 62 Galaxie 4 dr. The package tray was so dry and brittle anyway that it needed replacing. I used a vintage sort of seat vinyl to cover the package tray and made the speaker grills out of the old seat covering material so it matches the door panel inserts. I also sort of boxed in the side areas in the trunk where the qtr panel is almost an overhang. I put in two 6 1/2" speakers and a 4 channel amp which powers my mp3 player. This is nearly the same set up as they described in the technical forum recently.

I didn't want to cut into my kick panels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
6x9s in the package tray, right where the holes are. But then, I have a 66. I also used the vents near my feet for the fronts. No changes were needed other than to cover the backs of the speakers. My tweeters are sticky-taped to the mid-corners of the dash and unless you look for them, you wouldn't know anything is up front.

With factory A/C, the glovebox isn't deep enough to allow for mounting the head unit. So we built an under dash console. The front of the unit comes off to deter theives. My amp is in the trunk, mounted on a piece of 1/4-inch plywood bolted to rear seat supports.

I put my antenna in the trunk as well. It runs lengthwise and works for FM but not AM. When I had the car painted, they patched over the antenna hole and I decided not to drill another. I can get a sattelite adapter for my head unit if I ever feel the need to poke another $15/month hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I put two 4" Kenwood in the rear speaker position between the seats with a mounting bracket I built. I then cut two holes in the doors and and installed a set of AudioBahn oversized separates in them. They are all silver so they tie in rather nicely with the rest of the door. I could find a pic of the model I used if you so desire. The AudioBahn sound great.

I've seen pics of people actually installing speakers in the panels below the rear seat. They point forward and aren't in the best position for sound quality but they should provide decent rear fill for the people in the front seats. I also went with dual voice coil 10" Kicker sub that is positioned in a custom cabinet behind rear passenger fender well. Hope that helps.

I am not trying for a concours/#'s matching car so the door panels meant nothing to me. Also, I don't believe you will be able to do the kickpanel thing. No one makes them for a reason.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 11/28/06 12:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I added a speaker in each of my Galaxie's doors, kept the use of the front speaker, and installed a 4th speaker in the XL rear seat chrome trim.

Speakers are placed low in the door. I cut into the metal of each door and used the plastic speaker grilles that came with the speaker kit (1972 Mustang speaker kit). Since the interior is black and the grilles are black, they almost look "factory".

I cut a section out of the aluminum trim piece (separating carpet from vinyl) that runs along the door panel front/rear a few inches from the bottom, but since the trim butts up to the speaker grille, it still looks pretty stock.

The radio (low level unit with cassette player) fit in the dash and came with side filler pieces that closely resemble the 64 dash aluminim trim.

Radio's nothing fancy, but gives a much better sound (plus FM and cassette) than the original. I split the channels dash/right door and rear seat/left door.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put 3.5" speakers in the kickpanels, between the air vents and the door. Put them in fiberglass enclosures so they point between the driver and passenger's heads and it worked out okay. I replaced the dash speaker with a 4x6 and that gave me a little lower bass but not quite low enough, will have to put a sub in the back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: putts1 on 11/28/06 4:04am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: putts1 on 11/28/06 4:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
imma do 2 4" in the front and remove back seat (haveta recover it anyways) while its out measure and build a single sub box, useing a dual voice coil sub, and just place it to one side. i wanna have a spare available if i need it so thats why the custom built box comes in.

i run a single 12" dual sub in my neon and its very suprising.

dunno if i wanna cut up my package tray .. will be doin some soul searching while the seats out about it... but if i do it will be a pair of
6.5's they produce better sound IMO

p.s. its inna 63 htfb

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-11-27 12:11, jerrym3 wrote:
I added a speaker in each of my Galaxie's doors, kept the use of the front speaker, and installed a 4th speaker in the XL rear seat chrome trim.

On 2006-11-27 09:39, gbeeler wrote:
I put two 4" Kenwood in the rear speaker position between the seats with a mounting bracket I built. I then cut two holes in the doors and and installed a set of AudioBahn oversized separates in them. They are all silver so they tie in rather nicely with the rest of the door.

Thanks for all the ideas guys !!!

i like this one alot

L

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 11/28/06 2:57pm ]</font>

·
Registered
525 Posts
I put two 6x9s under the back seat. They are mounted in the brace under the front part of the seat bottom. I cut the holes with a jigsaw and mounted the speakers facing forward. Line the floor under the seat with dynamat . they sound great and I plan to get a stereo speaker in the front stock dash location. I dont plan to entertain the neighborhood but I like to hear clean quality sound

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Forgot to mention that you'll need to make sure you mark things out really well before you cut the panel. There is a brace that runs through the door from top to bottom and a 4" speaker will fit forward of the brace. That is really the only thing limiting the use a larger speaker in the door. With a door this large I really didn't like the idea of cutting the brace down. Gives me the shivers to think about the door drooping/sagging. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
On my 63 1/2 I put 2 6X9s in the package tray, 1 6X9 in the dash with a speaker adapter plate to mate to the original speaker grill, 2 tweeters on the posts, and 1 10" toby sub woofer and 4 channel amp in the trunk behind the spare tire.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
The sub is in a Toby Deputy box, so it is enclosed with a 5" square bass port on one side. the box is 24" X12"X12". I have the long end turned towards the quarters. I didn't try any other position because the bass response was quite a bite more than I was expecting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked for 6x9s but cold not find one that would fit in the front dash bracket, which originallt took a 4x9 shallow magnet on my 65. Did you have that same prob?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Yeah, I bought a 1" inch plastic adapter from an car audio shop, the adapter mounts to the speaker grille, and the 6X9 mounts to the adapter. I didn't have a clearance problem on the 63 Galaxie its open space, the 6X9 I use has a 40oz magnet on it.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I have a 6x9 in my 64 dash. I only needed to trim a little of the plastic on the speaker so that the grill would fit down in like it should. I use that speaker for my CB. The other 6x9s are just sitting in front of my seats for now. Subs, cd changer and amp in the trunk. Need to get my 8 track wired with speakers sometime or other yet.
Deb

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
8 track!? Deb, whats that? I think I've seen them on the history channel and antique shops but I am not sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts