Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get cheap "Classic Car" insurance for my '65 and '68 for 1000 miles a year use?

My wife and I decided to keep the '65 Fairlane 500 wagonto give to her while I drive the '68 Falcon wagon so we can go to shows together and the drag strip. I know it will be less than 1000 miles a year on each and most likely less than 500 miles a year for the Fairlane. I heard of a classic car insurance that is very cheap and for a limited number of miles a year. Where can I get it and who do I contact? Right now I'm paying $1600 every 6 months for full coverage on the '00 F-250 and '01 Focus. Adding another car to Allstate will jump it up another $500 every 6 months and I don't want to think of adding 2 cars to Allstate. Classic car type insurance that is about $100-$200 every 6 months is what I'm looking for so I can get the Falcon and Fairlane registered(Fairlane is still registered w/current tags but not insured). I will not drive without insurance and that's why they are sitting in the back yard doing nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated
TIA

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Where can I get cheap "Classic Car" insurance for my '65 and '68 for 1000 miles a year use?

Kent, I insure my Comet with Grange mutual. It's on stated value with full coverage, limited to 5K miles per year. Costs $275/year. A screaming deal if I do say so.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts

Kent,

I use a broker out here in MA, but essentially they end up having Grundy underwrite the policy. Cost to me is around $250/year. 5K milage limit, had to prove that I have a reliable daily driver and the Torino has to be garaged. I spent $100 to have the car professionaly appraised so I wouldn't get screwed if something happened.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I use Hagerty for the Cougar $140/yr.

www.hagerty.com

They only insure classics.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts

Hagerty, 70 Spoiler $15,000 Unrestored '65 Stang, $25,000, '86 SVO $10,000. Costs $305 a year, no questions asked on repairs!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Do they have local offices or is there a main brach I have to deal with. How do I get a hold of them? Those prices seem totally within reason and I doubt very much I will get 1000 miles on either car. The Focus only has 3000 miles after all this time and my truck is the only one that goes on trips now and I've put 8000 miles on it in 7 months. Does that classic car insurance have liability and uninsured coverage for getting my tags or is it only vehicle damage? What I'm asking is will this insurance be legal or do I have to get supplemental insurance from my company for bodily injury to others, property(other than my own) damage coverage, uninsured, etc? Will the DMV consider it "enough" insurance to give me the new plates/tags for public road use?

·
Registered
582 Posts

I use Grundy on my '34 3 window coupe it's valued at $40K it cost me $535 / Yr.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts

Kent - I just got on the internet and did some searching for classic car insurance. I also checked out all of the muscle and classic car web sites I could find, as many of them will carry ads from the insurance companies. The insurance is perfectly legal and your DMV should have no problems. What you might want to be wary of is Antique Plates though. In MA, they are extremely restritive, only allowing you to use your car for events like car meets, parades, etc. No cruising! This is the URL for the broker I use:

http://www.demarey.com/classiccar.htm

·
Registered
196 Posts

I use Haggerty also. Agreed value of $4000 and I only pay $50 a year. You have to meet a few criteria: Car must be kept in a garage, not your driveway. Limited use- shows cruises, stuff like that. Pretty simple. I have no complaints, then again I've never neede to make a claim yet...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts

Had a club member make a claim on a 641/2 'Stang that had a hood come up while driving ato a local show. They told him to get an estimate, he sent it in, they cut a check, no questions. Rates stayed the same!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts

I use Hagerty also. NO deductible,up to 3000 miles/year.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree with the other guys Hagerty
$140 per year for a 69 Roadrunner valued to
19,000 no limits on driving, great insurance company to deal with

·
Registered
201 Posts

I use K&K Insurance for the Cobra. Agreed value, no milege limits, must be garaged, must have another daily driver, must check the box that says "no racing", $324/year full coverage. If you crack it up while racing you're not covered (duh
).

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks very much for the help everyone. That definitely looks like what I want but I don't have room in my garage for any cars(full of parts and tools) so could I use a friends garage or will the insurance company frown on that and not cover me. I really don't need full coverage, just cheap insurance so I can tag and drive them to car related events. If full coverage is mandatory, how can I show proof of the cars being garaged? Do they come to your house or do they want pics of the cars in the garage? I want to get all my ducks in a row before I contact them to get insured and the garage thing is the one I might have trouble with unless I can take pics of my 2 cars in a friends garage. HELP!
Thanks for the help.....

·
Registered
539 Posts

All they wanted from me is a pic of the car. My cost is only $116/year for 8grand. Thats Hagerty by the way.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

And you didn't have to show proof of a garage??? If that's the case, I'm in business but have they checked anybody else here to see if they had a garage(anybody have to show proof of a garage?)?

·
Registered
196 Posts

I have a garage, but my car could never fit in it. I keep it covered, in the driveway. Just tell them it's in a garage, they can't prove it's not.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Cool, thanks...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts