Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done with the 351c and it really looks great [in my opinion] all of the stressed bolts are ARP and the regular non load bolts are stainless steel allen head. I can not find an alternator bolt in a stainless allen, the dimentions are 7/16 diameter X 6 1/4 long though 6" long will hafta due cause there not gonna want to make a 6 1/4.... 14 threads per inch. basically a stock sized 351c alternator bolt but in a stainless allen head- anyone know where i might get one of these ??

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I looked in some industial cataloges and 4 inches is the longest stainless bolt listed.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Fastenal Industrial Fasteners, If its made they can get it for you.

http://www.fastenal.com

Call them or Go to one of their stores, Catalogs usually do not list everything that avaliable.

Also Check your local Aircraft Parts / Supply Places at Airports the have alot of exotic fasteners and stuff thats cool for race cars / show cars too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 3/22/07 8:41pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 3/22/07 8:43pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Your not going to find it. I suggest that you have a spacer made that is threaded 7/16 14. ( i could make you one if you gave me the exact dimensions, or sent me the stock spacer) You then run a long set screw in to the head, thread the spacer on with some loctite red and then use a normal length bolt. The longest Ive found in stainless for a SHCS (allen bolt) is 4 in. on all those links. The limiting factor is the "rare" thread size.

Another option is to bore out the hole in the alternator for a 1/2 bolt and then drill and retap the head for a 1/2 13 thread. Not the best option in my opinion.

I think the best option would to just use a HEX head (HHCS). Ive seen a couple vendors that had it to 6 1/2 long stainless. Then just polish it up with a nice flat washer and it will look good. Not what you wanted but its the easiest one.

71 Pinto

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 3/23/07 1:51pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything that has to do with messing with my new CHI heads is too scary.... When you see pics of the motor just look away from the alternator bolt.....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
why not just get a Standard Hex Head bolt in Stainless. They go up to 6 1/2 long. Then just polish it up. Better than an old rusty stock bolt.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am almost done with the 351c and it really looks great [in my opinion] all of the stressed bolts are ARP and the regular non load bolts are stainless steel allen head. I can not find an alternator bolt in a stainless allen, the dimentions are 7/16 diameter X 6 1/4 long though 6" long will hafta due cause there not gonna want to make a 6 1/4.... 14 threads per inch. basically a stock sized 351c alternator bolt but in a stainless allen head- anyone know where i might get one of these ??
Right here:

Stainless Bolt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts